Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hurricane Wilma directed for S Florida ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah, when I saw that i was like WTF??? The thing's almost doin a u-turn. That track is really odd, you would think it would truck on straight to yucutan, being located so far south. Oh well, up go the boards again...

Theres a cold front pushing thru the southeast on saturday that will be the steering currents for the storm. Hurricanes cannot pass through a frontal zone.

I've also heard that huricanes couldn't damage new orleans.
I'm in the center of the cone and as far as I'm concerned, no theories are stopping it. Hurricanes are tricky natural events that we still don't understand.

I hope the cold front comes and stop it, but I'm not betting on it. It's still too far out to have any real clue as to what it's going to do, but I already have evacuation plans. I wish this thing would have came earlier like on Saturday. I now looks like we may have to wait till Monday. I would already have been gone during the weekend.

I'll be visiting palm beach or NY depending on the intensity of the storm. I may do both as these things always change. :(

I don't know about everyone else, but the media is pissing me off with this storm. It's way too early to make any real predictions, and they're already running their mouth. One channel has it going up the punta gorda, and then heading south for an exit arround miami still being a cat 1 :nuts:
How long before they give us an exact track with GPS coordinates. How many times can you say stupid crap and still be credible?

Looks like it is going to hit the west coast first, so by the time it gets to me, it should be weaker, but I'm sure EVERYBODY ON THE AIRPORT is going to want their airplanes in the hangar. So, a stressful weekend, followed by a stressful week, cause its time for the boatshow. I might as well live at the airport.......

i could've told you all about a week and a half ago, but wasn't thinking.

i scheduled an EOC with the chief which has been put off for almost 3 months due to $h!+ like this.

I could've told you exactly where it was headed.

Paul, the cold front/trough/giant midwest storm system is what is going to push the system INTO Florida...not block it or protect it.

Oh...and just a few minutes ago...recon reported a pressure of 901MB, or possibly lower, with winds of atleast 150MPH. Winds are likely higher, and could end up exceeding 180MPH in a few hours.

Wilma is tied with Katrina as the 4th strongest storm (as measured by pressure on record)

This is a truely unreal hurricane season...3 of the top 5 strongest storms ever in just 6 weeks!!!!!!!

gkrangers said:
Paul, the cold front/trough/giant midwest storm system is what is going to push the system INTO Florida...not block it or protect it.

Oh...and just a few minutes ago...recon reported a pressure of 901MB, or possibly lower, with winds of atleast 150MPH. Winds are likely higher, and could end up exceeding 180MPH in a few hours.

Wilma is tied with Katrina as the 4th strongest storm (as measured by pressure on record)

This is a truely unreal hurricane season...3 of the top 5 strongest storms ever in just 6 weeks!!!!!!!
I thought he was saying that FL would be protected by the cold front which is supposed to be over us this weekend.

I bet the cold front doesn't want to come anymore.

I can't believe how quickly this storm strengthened.

gkrangers is correct, there is a high pressure area over the gulf states and NO FL that is blocking Wilma. Combined with the westerlies, she has no choice except going through So FL.

I am shocked at how quickly this strengthened. Weatherunderground.com is saying this is now the strongest Atlantic hurricane on record. What a crazy season this has been... One record after another has been broken. 2005 will definitely be a historic hurricane season.

There is some forecasted shear and cooler water that will hamper the progress of Wilma. Most meteorologists have her no more than a 3 or so at landfall. Still not a good case for SW FL, but I think SE FL will dodge this bullet (hopefully). Good luck west coast guys...

Latest resources

Back