• NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.
  • Logbook Pro for Apple iOS version 8.1 is now available on the App Store. Major update including signature endorsements and dark/light theme support. Click here to install now.

Hurricane Wilma directed for S Florida ?

crash-proof

Total Time
Wasted
Yeah, when I saw that i was like WTF??? The thing's almost doin a u-turn. That track is really odd, you would think it would truck on straight to yucutan, being located so far south. Oh well, up go the boards again...

erj-145mech

Total Time
Theres a cold front pushing thru the southeast on saturday that will be the steering currents for the storm. Hurricanes cannot pass through a frontal zone.

PaulThomas

Total Time
I've also heard that huricanes couldn't damage new orleans.
I'm in the center of the cone and as far as I'm concerned, no theories are stopping it. Hurricanes are tricky natural events that we still don't understand.

I hope the cold front comes and stop it, but I'm not betting on it. It's still too far out to have any real clue as to what it's going to do, but I already have evacuation plans. I wish this thing would have came earlier like on Saturday. I now looks like we may have to wait till Monday. I would already have been gone during the weekend.

I'll be visiting palm beach or NY depending on the intensity of the storm. I may do both as these things always change. :(

I don't know about everyone else, but the media is pissing me off with this storm. It's way too early to make any real predictions, and they're already running their mouth. One channel has it going up the punta gorda, and then heading south for an exit arround miami still being a cat 1 :nuts:
How long before they give us an exact track with GPS coordinates. How many times can you say stupid crap and still be credible?

Groundpounder

Total Time
Enough
Looks like it is going to hit the west coast first, so by the time it gets to me, it should be weaker, but I'm sure EVERYBODY ON THE AIRPORT is going to want their airplanes in the hangar. So, a stressful weekend, followed by a stressful week, cause its time for the boatshow. I might as well live at the airport.......

moxiepilot

Florida Pimp
Total Time
24/7
i could've told you all about a week and a half ago, but wasn't thinking.

i scheduled an EOC with the chief which has been put off for almost 3 months due to $h!+ like this.

I could've told you exactly where it was headed.

gkrangers

college = debt
Total Time
some
Paul, the cold front/trough/giant midwest storm system is what is going to push the system INTO Florida...not block it or protect it.

Oh...and just a few minutes ago...recon reported a pressure of 901MB, or possibly lower, with winds of atleast 150MPH. Winds are likely higher, and could end up exceeding 180MPH in a few hours.

Wilma is tied with Katrina as the 4th strongest storm (as measured by pressure on record)

This is a truely unreal hurricane season...3 of the top 5 strongest storms ever in just 6 weeks!!!!!!!

PaulThomas

Total Time
gkrangers said:
Paul, the cold front/trough/giant midwest storm system is what is going to push the system INTO Florida...not block it or protect it.

Oh...and just a few minutes ago...recon reported a pressure of 901MB, or possibly lower, with winds of atleast 150MPH. Winds are likely higher, and could end up exceeding 180MPH in a few hours.

Wilma is tied with Katrina as the 4th strongest storm (as measured by pressure on record)

This is a truely unreal hurricane season...3 of the top 5 strongest storms ever in just 6 weeks!!!!!!!
I thought he was saying that FL would be protected by the cold front which is supposed to be over us this weekend.

I bet the cold front doesn't want to come anymore.

I can't believe how quickly this storm strengthened.

wrxpilot

The proud, the few
Total Time
-
gkrangers is correct, there is a high pressure area over the gulf states and NO FL that is blocking Wilma. Combined with the westerlies, she has no choice except going through So FL.

I am shocked at how quickly this strengthened. Weatherunderground.com is saying this is now the strongest Atlantic hurricane on record. What a crazy season this has been... One record after another has been broken. 2005 will definitely be a historic hurricane season.

There is some forecasted shear and cooler water that will hamper the progress of Wilma. Most meteorologists have her no more than a 3 or so at landfall. Still not a good case for SW FL, but I think SE FL will dodge this bullet (hopefully). Good luck west coast guys...

FN FAL

Freight Dawgs Rule
Total Time
7,000+
gkrangers said:

Yup, they just said it's at 882MB!

LearAv8r

John Ross Ewing JR
Total Time
8500+
We are soooo screwed!!!!!:eek:

cforst513

Giggity giggity goo!!!
Total Time
gee, glad my ass is flying out of daytona tomorrow for ohio!!!

sky37d

Total Time
1000+
I got a runway, a house, and a hangar, in AZO. All you folks in FL, welcome. Called a friend in Miami, told him to get his stuff in his 172, head this way. Looks actually nasty, and extremely dangerous.

sky37d

Total Time
1000+
here ya go. Good place to escape a hurricane in FL

mudkow60

Total Time
'bit
I might be confused a bit (although I do have a degree in meteorology), but I read that it is a low pressure system (actually a combination of a few lows forming a deep trough) that is going to push Wilma towards the east. The storm is predicted to be caught up in the westerly flow (counterclockwise around a low) and start its eastward trend. There is still a chance that it might be steered just south of Florida. Usually when hurricanes turn eastward, they weaken a bit. Hopefully this will hold true.

I have a friend in Key West that is about as fed up with hurricane season as I am in Pensacola.

And on that note, if anyone is evacuating to the north from South Florida, I have an extra room in my condo for anyone looking for a place to crash and avoid the storm (as long as it does not come to the Gulf Coast).

SennaP1

Livin' the European Dream
Total Time
As Fred Flintstone once said...

Wilmaaaaaa!!!

Diesel

TEB Hilton resident
Total Time
I'm getting the F out of here tomorrow afternoon. No thanks you can have it. Move the pool furniture off the patio and wave goodbye.