• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Hurricane Hunters

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Orions....I never knew the Navy flew P-3s in a hurricane.....Mabye a Herk....yeah that is what I flew...I mean Herk.

Orions....I never knew the Navy flew P-3s in a hurricane.....Mabye a Herk....yeah that is what I flew...I mean Herk.

Its not the Navy that flies the Orions into the hurricane, its NOAA....they have two WP-3's on the civil register that track the storms, and are based at McDill also.

The G-IV is operated by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and they're based at MacDill AFB, FL and there are several other aircraft in the fleet. I know the G-IV has flown a few missions over Gustav...

http://www.aoc.noaa.gov/aircraft.htm
As of now (1217z), NOAA has a P3 (NOAA43 - Miss Piggy) and a GLF4 (NOAA49 - Gonzo) cruising around Gustav.

The Orion hasn't come up above 12,000 ft. once...tops in the area are reporting to FL600.

The GLF4 is making laps at FL450.

Last edited:
That would be awesome... just dont eat greasy food before you go.. ;)

Yeah, I don't know about that. Click on the Flt Engineer Dewie Floyd's picture to the left. Link. I bet he goes to one of Tampa's Five Guys Famous Burgers and Fries before every flight. He probably has a greasy bag with him right now and a Corona stuffed under the seat.

Seriously though, if anyone ever wants to read first-hand accounts about island clima-info, weather discussions, local reports regarding tropical systems threatening the Caribbean or view uploaded photos from local damage from past storms, check out this website. Link. It's a volunteer network of local correspondents living in the islands who try get information out in a timely matter duing the months of June-November. There is a lot of Caribbean climatology info, weather links, distance calculators, hurricane tracking tools and a My Satellite feature where you can customize a close-up satellite image of your island of interest. It was quite interesting to read some of the posts from each island with relation to the past TS/hurricanes that have come through or presently approaching. Props to Gert, the creator, the maintainer and moderator of this 'dynamic' info website.

Latest resources

Back