• NC Software is having a Black Friday Sale Event thru December 4th on Logbook Pro, APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook, Cirrus Elite Binders, and more. Use coupon code BF2020 at checkout to redeem 15% off your purchase. Click here to shop now.
  • NC Software is proud to announce the release of APDL - Airline Pilot Logbook version 10.0. Click here to view APDL on the Apple App store and install now.

Hurricane Hunters

buxflyr

Total Time
Does anyone know someone who flies one of the hurricane hunter airplanes?

Seems like an amazing opportunity with some even better stories.

Isnt it C-130's that fly in there? Should be a CRJ... !

mu2

Real Men Fly Props
Total Time
+nitup
No, it should be a C-130.

Flyin2low

Indentured Servant
Total Time
I think Bob flys for them.

If you've flown through a line of TRW's then you have experienced the adventures of a hurricane hunter. It's a much worse experience for the folks on the ground though.

Last edited:

NCFlyer

Total Time
Yes it is C-130's. They are flown by a reserve unit in Miss. Although I believe that some other agency flies Gulfstreams over the storms.

Here's a link: http://www.hurricanehunters.com

And just for the record, no I'm not interested in going along for a ride.

Last edited:

CaptBiff

Total Time
10000+
Go to weather.com they have the application on line. Just click careers.

Happy to help

greenlight

Total Time
7000+
was in the unit for awhile in the 90's. Sounds more interesting than it really is. No low level, no NVG, the only thing you drop is a buoy and the only standard for that is that it hits the ocean. The good is that the currency requirements are pretty easy to make.

Airline RC

Total Time
I flew with a new hire F/O in the Brakillia in about 91. He scared the crap out of me as he would go right through the middle of ANYTHING and never break a sweat. I finally ask him where he came from. He was one of those guys that flew Orions (?) through the eye of hurricaines. He was NUTS!

Airline RC

Total Time
duplicate post

Last edited:

RedDogC130

Total Time
enough
Orions....I never knew the Navy flew P-3s in a hurricane.....Mabye a Herk....yeah that is what I flew...I mean Herk.

erj-145mech

Total Time
Orions....I never knew the Navy flew P-3s in a hurricane.....Mabye a Herk....yeah that is what I flew...I mean Herk.

Its not the Navy that flies the Orions into the hurricane, its NOAA....they have two WP-3's on the civil register that track the storms, and are based at McDill also.

WalterSobchak

Am I wrong?
Total Time
40+/wk
The G-IV is operated by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) and they're based at MacDill AFB, FL and there are several other aircraft in the fleet. I know the G-IV has flown a few missions over Gustav...

http://www.aoc.noaa.gov/aircraft.htm
As of now (1217z), NOAA has a P3 (NOAA43 - Miss Piggy) and a GLF4 (NOAA49 - Gonzo) cruising around Gustav.

The Orion hasn't come up above 12,000 ft. once...tops in the area are reporting to FL600.

The GLF4 is making laps at FL450.

Last edited:

10nCLR

Oh, Yeah!
Total Time
TFAYD
That would be awesome... just dont eat greasy food before you go.. ;)

Yeah, I don't know about that. Click on the Flt Engineer Dewie Floyd's picture to the left. Link. I bet he goes to one of Tampa's Five Guys Famous Burgers and Fries before every flight. He probably has a greasy bag with him right now and a Corona stuffed under the seat.

Seriously though, if anyone ever wants to read first-hand accounts about island clima-info, weather discussions, local reports regarding tropical systems threatening the Caribbean or view uploaded photos from local damage from past storms, check out this website. Link. It's a volunteer network of local correspondents living in the islands who try get information out in a timely matter duing the months of June-November. There is a lot of Caribbean climatology info, weather links, distance calculators, hurricane tracking tools and a My Satellite feature where you can customize a close-up satellite image of your island of interest. It was quite interesting to read some of the posts from each island with relation to the past TS/hurricanes that have come through or presently approaching. Props to Gert, the creator, the maintainer and moderator of this 'dynamic' info website.