HUD view of Shuttle landing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Sampson said:
Very cool stuff, I actually used my FPV today just to emulate the landing, HA.
That's nothing, my flight instructor says I fly patterns like the space shuttle every time.

The pilots do the actual landing. Unlike the old Russian Buran, the Shuttle has never done a full autoland.

For the first time ever, this mission carried a 'jumper cable'. This cable ran from the pilots instrument panel to a panel in the back of the craft. What this jumper cable did was allow someone on the ground to lower the gear. By having this jumper they could have brought the shuttle back from the ISS uncrewed if there was damage that made it too risky for human flight, but still worth attempting to save the craft.

It would have landed at Vandenberg in this contingency.

Jolly Roger said:
I am sure it must be practiced in the sim over and over, no chance for a go around!
You really think so? I dont know about that, I bet in the orbiter is the first place that they try it.

To the best of my recollection, there was one mission commmander that hand flew the orbiter all the way down from the de-orbit burn. I'll see if I can find any documentation to back that up.....

Lilah

What? There are no shuttle drivers on here?

I wonder if theyed be complaining about their union, calling the Russian cosmonauts scabs for selling rides. Wanting better pay and QOL...
:laugh:

Lilah said:
To the best of my recollection, there was one mission commmander that hand flew the orbiter all the way down from the de-orbit burn. I'll see if I can find any documentation to back that up.....

Lilah

It was the first shuttle flight.

VNugget said:
It was the first shuttle flight.

Most of STS-1 was flown in automatic. They went into CSS briefly on a couple occasions, but didn't fly the whole thing manually.

From what I have read, missions 1-4 had the highest use of CSS, but none were flown completely by hand.

MKaprocki,

I disagree, from the little looking that I've done, indications are John Young hand-flew the orbiter after it exceeded yaw limitations in one of the first S-turns after entry interface. The method of control is not clear to me from the source you cited, even though the yaw limits were mentioned.

Thanks for the link, it was an interesting read. I'll look for an additional references from friends within the program. You are right though, he did NOT fly the ENTIRE reentry.

Lilah

vbmenu_register("postmenu_1063145", true);

Latest resources

Back