• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How's things at Skywest?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Another perfect description of how the skywest pilot group rolls over and lets their mgmt lower the bar.

Triple qualified HA what a joke.

That's not without precedent at ALPA carriers and non-ALPA carriers...

Delta pilots are 757/767 qualified, paid a single rate.

US Airways, Northwest and United pilots A320 pilots fly the 319-321, paid a single rate.

Southwest pilots fly the 737-300/500/700 and are paid a single rate.

Frontier pilots fly the A318-A320 (don't think they have 320s yet though), paid a single rate.

Alaska pilots fly the 737-400/700/800/900, paid a single rate.

American pilots are 757/767 qualified, paid separate rates.

Continental 737 pilots fly the 500-900, although the 800/900 pays more.

If you guys are so against alpa then most of us that believe in being unionized expect that you tool sheds will never want to be hired by a union carrier

Am I correct in this statement?

I don't think I am!

I think you are a bunch of hippocrates with no loyalty to anyone except yourself

With d!ckheads like yourself at ALPA, sure makes me want to join.
What's with all the rage, your boyfriend slap the crap out of you or something?

If you guys are so against alpa then most of us that believe in being unionized expect that you tool sheds will never want to be hired by a union carrier

Am I correct in this statement?

I don't think I am!

I think you are a bunch of hippocrates with no loyalty to anyone except yourself

With the amount of growth at Skywest, most of the pilots here (myself included) were not here for previous votes on pay/union etc...
There is an ALPA drive under way here right now and more than half the pilots have sent ballot cards in. ALPA is spending millions of your dues money on this drive, and many ALPA pilots are volunteering their time making phone calls trying to get the word out to Skywest guys and gals.
By making these kinds of comments as you do on flight info you only serve to undercut these efforts. If you are really interested in having skywest join ALPA try being helpful in this effort - why not write some posts about the things that ALPA has done for you in the past. Concrete examples of ALPA helping out pilots is helpful when swaying the fence sitters here at Skywest. Also, a lot of the folks here are from other ALPA carriers, guys who went to places like Comair, Transtates with low time and then came here when they met the minimums. They have had negative experiences so far with ALPA and your tactics of bullying, insulting and attacking are not going to help sway them towards unionisation here at Skywest.

Also, a lot of the folks here are from other ALPA carriers, guys who went to places like Comair, Transtates with low time and then came here when they met the minimums. They have had negative experiences so far with ALPA

I am somewhat curious exactly what negative experiences folks have had with ALPA. In my experience, most of the folks that have had "negative experiences" or are disenchanted with ALPA have very unrealistic expectations about what ALPA is as well as what ALPA can and cannot do. An example is concessionary bargaining. Each airline's elected and appointed ALPA reps do the negotiating, but the pilot groups themselves have voted in the concessionary agreements. Folks want to whine and complain about taking concessions but what exactly could ALPA have done about that other than the pilots (the same folks that comprise ALPA) vote the TAs down???

I'm not saying all the folks you speak of are/were like that, but do they have genuine issues or are they simply full of non-specific discontent because their expectations were not met?

Last edited:
Well said

But I think we have to draw the skywest pukes a picture

They are not playing with too much brain power

If you asked them to chew gum and walk they would have a hard time.

What a bunch of friggen robots

Well said!!!

I am gonna quit skywest right now. I'm tired of having 16 days off, being treated like a human being, receive performance rewards, etc.....
I am applying to any carrier as long as they are ALPA, because in the end of the day ALPA will take care of my family, pay my bills, fight for a good contract and GET IT, etc. That's all that it matters. That I belong to ALPA.
Mesa signed a sh*tty contract couple years ago. Comair agreed on two consective paycuts in 1 year. I could go on forever. But I guess SKYW is the one driving this industry to a hole because we flew 200/700 for the same rate.
Delta, Southwest, Alaska, UPS and many other companies do, but heavens forbid SKYW did it.
Do me a favor and go jerk off. It will solve your issues. It's not all fault you havent got laid in years.

I am somewhat curious exactly what negative experiences folks have had with ALPA. In my experience, most of the folks that have had "negative experiences" or are disenchanted with ALPA have very unrealistic expectations about what ALPA is as well as what ALPA can and cannot do. quote]

ALPA is not a bad organization. It's just that if we weight the pros and cons of having ALPA at SKYW, some of us fear that what will happen to us is what has happened to all the regional ALPA carriers.
Again, nothing against ALPA.

Unlike some folks I don't think that most Skywest folks are vehemently anti-ALPA (HelloNewman and SkyNation notwithstanding). Although I think the regional industry as a whole would be better served if Skywest was represented (allowing for pattern bargaining and raising the standard of workrules and compensation for us all) that is obviously not my decision to make. There's nothing wrong with evaluating the pros and cons and then making a decision for yourself. Part of evaluating those pros and cons are having a good understanding and realistic expectations about the Air Line Pilots Association...and I wonder if that's where the discontent of some recent Skywest hires comes from.

TSA and Comair having "negative experiences" were mentioned and I'm just wondering if these folks had honest, legitimate gripes about ALPA representation at their previous jobs and if that is the reasoning for their wariness of ALPA representation at SKW. If they didn't have legitimate gripes, did they just get caught up in the complaining because (unrealistic) expectations about ALPA and what it can and cannot do were not met?

Last edited:
Delta, Southwest, Alaska, UPS and many other companies do, but heavens forbid SKYW did it.

Delta, Southwest, Alaska, and UPS aren't compeating for CPA's agianst each other. SKYW single pay rate is hurting ASA, Comair, and maybe others. You would be hard pressed to show how the airlines you mention are affecting others via their payrates.

The reason why we don't like you guys is because your pilots, not management, agreed to a lower pay rate, or one rate in order to get other flying. We here at ASA have not take a pay cut and will not. The reason Comair guys are cool with us is that we won't fly for a lower rate to get planes. You did. We've lost flying to Express Jet out of LAX, but I'm fine with that because they are some of the best paid pilots. Do you see the difference?

Yeah, you're educated...

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back