Hows the Falcon 20?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

imisscorplife

Just curious if any of you have made the jump from the airlines to corporate? Also, any info on the 20 would be great, good airplane? etc etc etc? Thanks a bunch!

Just curious if any of you have made the jump from the airlines to corporate? Also, any info on the 20 would be great, good airplane? etc etc etc? Thanks a bunch!

Right up front, I don't have so much as a minute in a F20. From what hear it's a fine airplane to fly but unless you have one of the re-engined Garrett models, it's probably a little long in the tooth. Economics are probably fairly poor from both a purely maintenance point of view as well as the fuel. Other than that, I remain clueless. Good luck!

For an owner who not fly that much more than 100-200 hours per year the DA-20 with the GE-CF-700 is a good deal. Yes it costs more to operate per hour than the 731 bird, but a nice one can be purchased in the $1M range, roomy, good load capability, and easy to fly.

I have only about 5 hours in the bird with the Garretts and it flies pretty nice. I thought it was comparable to the ERJ in handling. The speeds are slower from what I remember. I liked it and I think you will too. :)

The retrofitted 20's are good birds. However, if I were asked to look for one, I would ONLY consider VERY late model F's that had been converted to the 5-BR motors as well as an EFIS/FMS upgraded panel.

Keep in mind that the last 20's built are 30 years old. Somewhere in the very late 300 serial numbers, there was a change in the skin bonding procedure. Don't look at ones without this change.

Most of the very late F's also had upgraded fuel/hydraulic and electrical systems. The F's also carried more fuel, had a newer wing, etc.

There are a couple of late model F's that have had the Proline 21 upgrade. This is a great option.

But as I said before, even a late-model F will still have issues associated with being 30 years old. Many of those issues are mitigated by the upgrades mentioned, but it is still and old bird. But if bought right, could be a great value, and the bird will go 2000 nm no sweat!

Love the Falcon. Built like a tank, easy to fly, and if you pound one on then you're an idiot! Those trailing link landing gear make anyone look like Chuck Yeager!

Thanks for all the info so far!! I should hear something after this weekend and will go check it out hopefully. Im hoping it has upgraded avionics, lol, Ive been flying glass for too long. Spoiled!

The 20 is a great airplane--I agree built like a tank. The one I fly is an early serial number with the 731 upgrade. It works well for our operation, with most legs being 2hrs or less and 1-6 passengers. We don't have Proline, but have a Universal FMS that works well. I think Mx costs are above average, and fuel efficiency is below average. Performance is good. Usually cruising at .82. Reliability has been great. We're casually looking for another jet and I hope it's a Falcon.

Latest resources

Back