• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How would you respond

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It doesn't appear you have a choice in the matter. It's not your airplane, and it doesn't belong to the pilot who is flying it right now, either. You don't work for that pilot, and he doesn't have the option of hiring you. You work for the company that holds the 135 certificate, ergo you do whatever they tell you to do. The pilot flying the airplane will also be employed under that certificate, and he will fly with whomever he is told to fly.

Therefore, you have no say, and neither does he. He may have some influence, but from your comments this appears to not be the case.

While it's a big juicy carrot dangling before you, remember that at this stage you're in the infancy of your career. The chances of a position coming up for you are typically very slim, and like most of us in the industry, you have a long way to go. Be content with having a job. You'll see a dozen more opportunities like this come and go, perhaps many more than that. It's just the way things go.

Take the job if you can convinve the chief pilot to give you the position. SIC jet is SIC jet, just because a plane is capable of being operated single pilot doesn't mean it has to be. Get the job, offer your sevices to the flight school part time and get the best of both worlds if possible...

Again, thank you all for responding.

In retrospect I should not have mentioned the Delta name, he could have been from any company and he is just trying to get by like myself and all of us. At the time I wrote this I definitely had a slant against him (although I have never met him) for a perceived slight against my forward progress. I still have not met him and most likely never will. The comment was unprofessional and out of line.

My best guess is that this jet will be at another organization within two months. Between the owner of the school and the pilot/ manager of the airplane I believe there is just way too much animosity for a constructive resolution.

My decision is to step away form the whole affair... let everyone cool down and if the aircraft is still with us in a few weeks (meaning I was wrong about the previous paragraph) try to get all the party’s to reach a comfortable arrangement with me in the right seat. If that doesn't happen then no big deal, I still have a job instructing and given enough time, I will find something else. Hopefully out of VNY.

I'd wouldn't think twice about it....take the citation gig. It will do more for your career in the long run than anything you're doing now.

I was in a similar situation about 8 years ago. Flight instructing and flying a citation. I did both for at least 6 months. Flying that jet was a lot more fun than insrtucting in a BE-76. So I quit the instructing and stuck with the Citation. I then got a worthless 30hrs as a radio operator. With worthless in house training I had I wasn't qualified to do anything but instruct. Made me so bitter I almost quit aviation. Went on to 135 piston freight and really learned to fly before I got back in a jet.

You will have to do what you want to do. To heck with all of our slanted ideas about what you should do. The decision you make could make a large impact on your career. What ever you decide needs to be 100% yours.

Good luck!!

cj 2

Co-pilots ARE required for turbo-jet far 135 operations,, how ever in corporate it is the GOLDEN RULE...

HE WITH THE GOLD MAKES THE RULES!

If the owner wants the other pilot he will have him.. He could be planning on replacing the PIC.

Keep instructing, and always have a good attitude aroud the owner and BOTH pilots. The owner may become more comfortable with you,, it sounds like a mess though. If you dont handle this just right you could burn 2 bridges.

Best of luck.

400A,

No no no they aren't!!! (Rant over)

Co-pilots are NOT required in the CJ2 for 135 ops.

There is an authorization for the use of autopilot in lieu of an SIC in the ops specs of many a CJ operator.

Without a CVR, our FSDO will not allow us to have SICs in our CJ2 (more than six seats with a belted potty...)

English

My bad, I looked it up and see they have changed that reg. That is the way we used to do it in the King Air. It used to be a Turbojet blanket, but I see they have changed it to the way the aircraft is type certificated.

Based on the new o2 regs, do you have to hang the mask at FL250, as we do if there is only one on the flight deck?

Thanks for the heads up, I had not payed attention to that one since we have to have 2 pilots.

Has anyone gotten the waiver on a Premier?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back