How will Pilot shops survive the purposed FAA mandate of 1500/ATP

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Boiler,

Did you believe the 12-14mil net profit per quarter running around AWAC a few years ago? If true, that's far from thin IMHO.

Boiler,

Did you believe the 12-14mil net profit per quarter running around AWAC a few years ago? If true, that's far from thin IMHO.

I never heard figures that high...but as a private company its a bit harder to verify its financials vs. a companies like Skywest, RAH, XJT, etc. The Amigos seem to be pretty smart businessmen though, so it wouldn't surprise me if those figures were accurate.

Since most regionals don't pay for their own fuel, it would follow that labor is their biggest expense and pilots the highest among employee groups. If you effectively double pilot salary expenses, that would have to be accounted for somewhere...

At least as a flight instructor you learn:

"WHEN TO TAKE THE PLANE FROM THE STUDENT" or "Other Pilot"

This is good to know throughout a pilot's career.

Absolutely the best thing that could happen. I heard a pilot-mill kiddie a few days ago crying that he now had 500hrs but if he was going to have to instruct/trafficwatch/whatever for another year he was done with flying. "But I was supposed to be at an airline by now, I mean I spent almost $100K at ATP."

1500 hours is going to separate the wheat from the chaff and help excise the cancer of "summer camp zero to hero" pilots and the programs that squirt them out.

Of course 1500 (or any arbitrary #) isn't a guarantee that someone has what it takes NOT to be tonights leading news story BUT it does do alot for the process of weeding out while keeping you from doing it with 50 pax. Bad judgement/skills/decision-making WILL knock on everyones door at some point looking to collect. Experience is legal tender for that bill.

The message boards are filled with doubtful comments of how an extra year spent teaching steep turns or dragging banners isn't going to make anyone a better pilot. I'd bet that most adherants to that line of thinking are on the front side of that year and not the tail end. Its possible to add an hour or two to the logbook where you really didn't learn much but if you can add 500 hours doing any type of flying and NOT experience/learn something that will keep your ass out of a sling then you are a brick who might be in the wrong business and surely need to look up what professionalism entails.

So if flying is the game for you suck it up, look at 1500 hours an an oppourtunity to build up that reserve savings account of experience and knowledge and make that time worth something instead of being worthless.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back