Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SMOOTHRIDE

Hey Y'all;

Anyone know of someone who wasn't flying commercially for an airline or charter/corporate anymore, but kept in aviation somehow?

Ideas:
CFI (obvious)
FSI instructor (obvious)
Writing for Flying or something (not as obvious)
Some kind of aviation business (fu**ing obscure for a guy like me)
Consultant (downright scary--what the heII do I know??)...

Any ideas you have are welcome, and are probably pretty entertaining!:eek:

kam-sa-ham-ni-da!

smooth

Get to know a couple of flight departments that use contract pilots and fly the trips that fit your schedule and keep you current.

I'll be in Korea for 2 years.. is business aviation a reality over there?

So far, I can't find squat over there....

SR

Keep reading these forums, before long you can hang a shingle and be an aviation consultant.

Hey Y'all;

Anyone know of someone who wasn't flying commercially for an airline or charter/corporate anymore, but kept in aviation somehow?

Ideas:
CFI (obvious)
FSI instructor (obvious)
Writing for Flying or something (not as obvious)
Some kind of aviation business (fu**ing obscure for a guy like me)
Consultant (downright scary--what the heII do I know??)...

Any ideas you have are welcome, and are probably pretty entertaining!:eek:

kam-sa-ham-ni-da!

smooth
Pretty entertaining, look into being a jumper dumper.-Skydivers- Look hard and long before commiting to it. You can get violated ( a couple of different ways) by jumpers...

staying in av

Best Route...Military reserve aviator or flight engineer. No brainer for a former mil guy unless he retired. I make 25K a year just to maintain my basic qual on a C-130 (4 days a month) and earn a retirement. It's another commitment, but worth it.

My guard unit took a former E-2 pilot and made him flight engineer on the C-130. He had been out too long to return to the pilot seat. He's now warming up in a Cessna and looking for a professional flying career again. His F/E time will get him back into some nice civ equipment. We have a former B-52 pilot flying helos and C-12s in the local army guard unit. He's got a non-flying govt gig but still staying current.

Buy your own plane and fly for fun. Partnership or full ownership. Being at the airport will help you get a job at the airport. Being seen flying will help you get a job flying.

Bottom line. Don't get out unless you plan to stay out. If you get back in be prepared to spend 3-5K for recurrent training/proficiency/job search to be ready for an inteview. Nobody likes rusty pilots, especially when microsft flight sim is available for $30. Study and fly.

If you a a mil or fomer mil pilot, you should have this stuff already figured out.

Every year it gets harder for me to stay in the cockpit for a living. Non-flying offers and ways to make more money by not flying are popping up. However, I'm not ready to give it up yet. When I do, there will be an aerobatic airplane with my name on it at the airport for my personal flying (I purchased it last year and it pays for itself.taching).

Good Luck

Latest resources

Back