How to stay in aviation a little???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
staying in av

I forgot to mention skydiving pilots. Great way to waste a whole weekend and not make any money. However, you might fly your tail off at an efficient operation. Waiting for a bunch of hung over jumpers to get started in the morning isn't fun, and if there aren't any loads to fly, the pilots sit around and wait. Low pay, high risk, but occasionally fun.

Towing banners..about the same.

Both offer the possibility of lousy equipment, bad weather, and faa violations. Sticka and rudder flying though.

VIP CFI work is the best. High end customers with nice planes. Put on a nice suit, get a haircut, and do plenty of ground school before flying. Use your mil credentials to get an "in" (if you flew as a mil pilot).
Civ CFIs probably know as much or more than a mil guy, but customer like the fact that a mil type is teaching them.

In closing, most of you guys knew this stuff already.
Good luck!

Don't buy a whole plane, just a part. There's a couple ratty planes on every field looking for a caring owner. Or pass a piston 135 ride and be a standby pilot for a scheduled run outfit. But be aware that the day they call you might be an IMC nightmare and you might be just a bit rusty.

Fly Civil Air Patrol

Find a Civil Air Patrol unit and fly for almost nothing. While most all airplanes are SE, they have a few ME A/Cs, there is nothing quite so satisfying as flying a group of eager youngsters who are tettering on the brink of a possible military career.

One can build some strong friendships in CAP. I met many fine folks who enjoy flying, being around aviation, and helping others.

If you are an IP you can fly many hours a month.

CAP has is benefits about being able to network with people in and around the aerospace industry. Its all volunteer, the people that you meet will be the real deal, they are there because they want to. You will make all kinds of contacts that may help you in your professional life. CAP is not just about airplanes, there is much more and you may develop another interest to pursue. I have my HAM radio license through CAP and I never thought a pilot would need one. That was until I did hurricane relief and cell towers were down.

Can one volunteer to fly for the CAP and not have to wear a one of those goofy nomex suits?:D

Hey Y'all;

Anyone know of someone who wasn't flying commercially for an airline or charter/corporate anymore, but kept in aviation somehow?

Ideas:
CFI (obvious)
FSI instructor (obvious)
Writing for Flying or something (not as obvious)
Some kind of aviation business (fu**ing obscure for a guy like me)
Consultant (downright scary--what the heII do I know??)...

Any ideas you have are welcome, and are probably pretty entertaining!:eek:

kam-sa-ham-ni-da!

smooth

Buy into a flight club with planes you want to fly and offer your CFI services. The planes are generally a cut above the trainers and you'll be dealing with other "owners" who want to treat the plane well.

Can one volunteer to fly for the CAP and not have to wear a one of those goofy nomex suits?:D

Regulation IZOD shirt from CAP approved vendor, gray dockers, white crew neck t-shirt, black shoes and black socks is all the uniform you need.

Some guys like to go whole hog. I don't.

Latest resources

Back