• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How To Obtain a NTSB Accident Report

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
User, Not all accident investigations are conducted by the NTSB. If the board doesn't wish to look at an accident or decides there are other accidents that (for whatever reason) they would rather look at then the local FAA office does the investigation. If you have a date, tail number, or an airmans name or certificate number an Inspector can look into the FAA database to look for the accident. PM me if you need assistance.

JAFI

There was an accident that I was particularly interested in. When the final came out I just called the NTSB and wound up talking to someone who just mailed me a copy.

User997 said:
Charter or A-Squared, using the link that Charter provided, do you think it'd be a "Freedom of Information Request" or "Request For Information Product"?

http://www.ntsb.gov/pubmail/pubmail.asp

I'm not "Charter" or "A x A" but since they did not respond, I will. It is is FOIA request. I have done them in the past, but not for an NTSB report. I have had records take over 10 months to arrive, but when there is no alternative what choice do you have. I am often amazed at the wealth of information you can receive from a simple request, color photos, audio tapes, etc..

User, was there a civil suit? I'm wondering if you couldn't find more information out on the crash if you were able to get a clerk of courts to give you a copy of the civil suit transcripts.

I'm not sure if there's a way to find out where the suit was filed or whether or not you can access the transcripts, but I would think you could.

Van Hooydonk said:
I'm not "Charter" or "A x A" but since they did not respond, I will. It is is FOIA request. I have done them in the past, but not for an NTSB report. I have had records take over 10 months to arrive, but when there is no alternative what choice do you have. I am often amazed at the wealth of information you can receive from a simple request, color photos, audio tapes, etc..

Maybe you need to have a FOIA request if you're doing it online. I dunno. I do know that I diodn't make an official FOIA request when I orderd the report.

I'm telling you guys, just call the NTSB. It is a very small agency, so the odds of getting someone with a clue is pretty good. I got the report I wanted in about a week "because we still have some in stock".

JimNtexas said:
I'm telling you guys, just call the NTSB. It is a very small agency, so the odds of getting someone with a clue is pretty good. I got the report I wanted in about a week "because we still have some in stock".

Yeah, that's pretty much how it went with me, too.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back