Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

User546

The Ultimate Show Stopper
I lost a family member in a plane crash in 1981 (boyfriend pilot flew into a thunderstorm) and I was wondering if there was anyway I could obtain a full accident report from the NTSB.

I pulled up the accident report through the NTSB database, but it was back when they gave very vague information. I would assume the NTSB would have a file of information (the usual: eyewitness acounts, diagrams, pilot information, etc.) concerning this accident.

Is there a place I could write or call and request access/copies to these files? Or is that kind of information off limits to non-NTSB personnel? Thanks.

http://www.ntsb.gov/ntsb/brief.asp?ev_id=26935&key=0

Those '80s era reports were pretty weak. I have never tried to get any more specific data than what is available on their website, but I see that there is an online information request form. You might try making a request for more detailed information there. Select the appropriate type of request option and press the "next" button below. I suppose it might be worth a try. Good luck

Best,

Last time I checked, a boyfriend isn't a family member, not that there's anything wrong with that...

capt_zman said:
Last time I checked, a boyfriend isn't a family member, not that there's anything wrong with that...

Back in the 80's they didn't have gay people, because there was disco music and mood rings and flock of seagulls.

capt_zman said:
Uh huh, I better jump in here and clarify before this gets out of hand :D... it was my aunt who was killed in the crash, and it was HER boyfriend who was flying the airplane. Thankfully, they had just dropped off her 6 year old son at his grandparents, and they were returning back home when the accident happened.

I wasn't even old enough to know what an airplane was back then.

Yes, you can order copies of the reports. I did once for an accident in which a friend dies. this was back in the mid 1990's. I don't recall too many of the details but I did it by phone (the government wasn't quite onto the internet back then) There was a fee for copying and postage. I don't know if they have the reports available for an accident in 1981. The origianl may have been destroyed but I bet it's on microfiln somewhere. Good luck

Latest resources

Back