How to Mess Up a Job Interview

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
PHX767 said:
I told him he was correct in his assumption.
I literally had the same scenario, only different.

*still laughing*

I was given TWO opportunities to fly pressurized piston planes, one a PBaron and the other a 414. The 414 job was whacked. The PBaron operator was willing to give me an atrocious sum (think 3rd year major FO pay, myself a Dash FO) to give up my life.

He couldn't understand why I was laughing at the indefinite RON nature of their business, and the "desk duties" involved. Uhh, can I run to DUB tomorrow for free (like I do)? Can I jumpseat? Can I get recurrent training? Can I get a hell yeah?

Good for you for sticking to your guns.

*** forgot the whole 24/7 on call thing. No days off, ever.

Last edited:
Avalanche said:
I heard about a guy who Fed Ex'd his resume to the UPS Chief Pilot....that may not apply to this thread though because he never actually got the interview.

I used to know a lot of guys and gals at what was then Federal Express. One guy was on the selection team. He told me they got resumes and applications via UPS, DHL, USPS, Pony Express, carrier pidgeon, almost anything you can think of. If it didn't come in a Federal package, it went into the circular filing cabinet. You would have to be pretty stupid to send a resume to anyone and use their competion to deliver it. That would be like walking into an interview with Coke while drinking a Pepsi.

Do you guys remember the old George Carlin skit about interviewing for a new job? It's hilarious! But at the end he says if the interview is not going well, "point to the picture on the bosses desk and ask "whose the ---t?"

1. Had one pilot applicant tell me that while he wanted our job, he really wanted to fly with a friend of his at another place and he thought that might be available soon. He did not want us to be surprised if he ended up leaving soon. AHHH- let me see the solution here.
2. Had someone applying for Director Operations job. Told him that one of the requirements was in depth knowlege of FAR's. He said he knew them back and forth. Unfortuantely he was not hired as he did not qualify as D/O.
3. Had flight attendant interview and we stressed that appearance and professionalism that were impeccable was required. It was hard to concentrate as her fly was open.
4. Had applicant say that this was his dream job and he could not wait to start. Called him the next day with offer, could not find him-- still have not seen him.
5. Interviewee was chewing gum so hard, we could not remember the questions we wanted to ask.
6. Ex airline interviewee and I were discussing airlines before getting to the meat of the interview. I mentioned how it seemed that the first thing out of people that came from the airlines was about time off which was not what an employer wanted to hear. Guess what the first thing he asked about.
7. Had another who was so quiet and unassuming that we all questioned his command authority.

Publishers said:
3. Had flight attendant interview and we stressed that appearance and professionalism that were impeccable was required. It was hard to concentrate as her fly was open.
So, did she get the job? Seriously.

We were having lunch at the IAD marriott on Tuesday and there was a gentleman getting interviewed at the table next to us ( not aviation related, sounded like a drug rep sort of thing ). Not 5 minutes after he sat down his cell phone rings ( Not only does he answer it, he stays on the phone for probably 2 minutes.) then after he hangs up, he apologises and explaines that the call was his wife and that his rule was to always answer family calls.

Wonder if he got the job.

No she did not. She made the mistake a number of people make. I have experience, I do not need to make the same effort as someone else. You know, "I have 10,000 hours with TWA, you should be glad to have me" Those young kids need to wear a tie, but I have 10,000 hours."
The fact you forgot to zip up your slacks, well that did not help.

on a side note, if at some point during the interview it is obvious that you don't want the job, just ask them, "do you terminate or prosecute for employee theft?"

The best interview is the one that does not happen. I have observed a pilot out here flying for a piston twin 135 based here. I was impressed with his professional appearance, being out here early, weighing everything that went on the aircraft, and generally looking after the owners interests when the owner was gone.
We are sending him to school and giving him a jet SIC position. He asked me when we approached him about an interview. I told him he had one for the last 12 months, he just did not know it.

Publishers said:
The best interview is the one that does not happen. I have observed a pilot out here flying for a piston twin 135 based here. I was impressed with his professional appearance, being out here early, weighing everything that went on the aircraft, and generally looking after the owners interests when the owner was gone.
We are sending him to school and giving him a jet SIC position. He asked me when we approached him about an interview. I told him he had one for the last 12 months, he just did not know it.

Good for you. It's nice to see someone who works hard and does a good job gets rewarded and not shafted.

Latest resources

Back