How to Mess Up a Job Interview

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Publishers said:
The best interview is the one that does not happen. I have observed a pilot out here flying for a piston twin 135 based here. I was impressed with his professional appearance, being out here early, weighing everything that went on the aircraft, and generally looking after the owners interests when the owner was gone.
We are sending him to school and giving him a jet SIC position. He asked me when we approached him about an interview. I told him he had one for the last 12 months, he just did not know it.

I could not agree more!! Every once in a great while we have full-time openings in our ANG unit, and invariably the Guardsmen line up with applications thinking that they're all shoo-ins...little do they realize that they interviewed every day that they've been with the unit. The ones who show up on time, looking sharp, acting sharp, being sharp are the ones that get hired...the ones who miss drill, show up late or looking like a laundry bag get passed by. Remember that old adage they use in CFI training: What you do speaks so loudly I cannot hear what you say!

Bottom line: Do your best, give a dang, and do it the right way regardless if anyone is looking.

All too often the clueless ones who show up late, dress inappropriately, and do the most unbelievably dumb things while interviewing for a job are the ones who think the world owes them a living (and a good one at that!). They're the ones who "blame the Government" and "blame the rich SOBs who don't pay enough taxes" for their shortcomings in life, pointing the finger at everyone but themselves. The country is chock full of people like that, and it's often the hard working, dedicated and talented of our society who wind up being forced to carrry their water.

Latest resources

Back