• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

how to land a dash 8?!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've tried nose up, flat landings just about every type. Everyone has their own technique. If you go for the flat ones make sure you're a bit on the fast side of ref cause it always seems there's a certain speed where the back end kind a falls out and If you're going for the flat look and the back end drops, well you get another pounder. Again if you're slightly fast and bring it in flat you get a very nice landing. I think there's a lot of truth to MTX messing with the struts cause when we got ours new they all landed nice no matter how you dropped it in. Now most of them land like shopping carts. Still an awesome airplane though. Just remember when it comes to the pax "those who land have to stand."

Used to love greasing these aircraft in while the best the captain could do was drop another in for landing.
The secret for me was keeping a few percent on the props. That way there's more bernouli's going over the straight wing. It also keeps the props from going flat pitch which, as someone else mentioned, is pure drag. Finally, I found that you must evenly flare. If you flare at too great a rate, you stall that great big straight wing and drop it in. It is definitely the aircraft requiring the most finesse of any I've flown.

LISTEN, LISTEN, LISTEN,

The Dash makes the most noticable noise with the props as you get the blades flat of any t-prop I've flown. When you just hear the blades start to make that noise, stop pulling the power of, and fly the airplane on.

Decent landings, but not greasers. A greaser on the Dash is a combination of a wet or (preferably) snowy runway and a large dose of pure luck. Even so, it is hands down the best airframe for the job.

I sure do miss the great Honeywell autopilot the most. The Collins one we have in the Brasilia stinks!

Crashing it on....

I have to agree with the previous post.... use your ears. The second that you hear the props change in pitch(sound) stop right there! Leave that power in until you finally touch down.

And remember.... blame it on the captain when ever you can ;)

LB

My landings in the Dash improved when I quit triing. After about 1,000 hours in the airplane I developed the "It's gonna suck regardless so why bother" attitude.

Anybody else ever play the quarter game in the Dash?? I actually got it stay up on there once. One time it hit the cockpit door so hard I thought it was going to knock it down!

As far as blaming the Canadians - be careful what you say - they're a sensitive bunch!! I was in Challenger initial in Montreal and make one joke about nothing good ever coming out of Canada - geez - I thought I was going to get lynched :D

CL

I flew the 100. I'd come in at about Vref+15 to the ground effect carrying some power.. once in the flare about 20-30 feet off the ground start pulling the power back.

Basically, fly the thing like a big Cessna, and definitely cuss the Canadians all the way to the gate.

I think its like the 8th wonder of the world or something. Between Allegheny and PDT and also Horizon we've got some senior guys with 15000 hours plus just in the Dash and they can't figure it out.

The only advice is just stick it on the centerline and in the touchdown zone and hope for wet or snowy runways. I have about 4000 in the 100 model and have messed around with all the methods and more discussed above but like I said its the 8th wonder of the world or something.

As for me I go in 3 week streaks. Meaning about 3 weeks of good landings followed by some time smackin' it on. With the winter we are having up north this year you can't go wrong. (snow everywhere)

One thing that I have seen is that its easier to grease on at heavier landing weights and also with a x-wind as long as your alligned when you touch down the downwind gear.

dash8driver64 - If your an allegheny guy don't take any crap from some anal MDT/ABE capt they've slapped them on worse and usually still are.

Horizon Guys

1. hows it goin with the beta backup mod?
2. where do we fax/send a res if we want to come out west?

Thanks

thanks for the posts guys and gals!?
i just finished up a three day and tried to come up with some commonality. the props set to where they start "whish" is something i did without realizing it ...it is a great way to set power.
as far as flying it flat on this seems to work if your not to light.
this thing likes to be heavy. I was flying into lga yesterday and got wedged between citrus and a delta 767. i guess they had a race up from atl. so i flew it hot (140) as long as could to fit in chopped the power to f/i and made the best landing in a yr.with the crosswind on friday and being heavy it was the best senerio to paint it on. i guess. if it was snowing i would likely got the "wt on wheels" caution light before i knew it was on the ground!!! you dash guys know what i mean.

the struts are definatly part of the deal too. some just seem to land better than others.

good luck to all
i hope we can all stay employed and get our fellow pilots back in the air soon

hey horizion guys: i hear the beta mod is giving you all some big troubles. we are just about to get ours at ALG activated soon. like to hear whats going on with that!

Not a Horizon guy, but former Island Air guy here, and that Beta Lockout Mod SUUUUUUUCKS!!!! If you trip it off on the ground, your engines will go into MANUAL, and you'll have to go back to the gate to reset the CB on the DC Contactor Box in the nose... it can really be a pain in the a$$. On top of that, one of our airplanes is possessed as a result of that mod. Prime example, I'm sitting at the gate with engines off doing paperwork and the GPWS goes off "Don't Sink, Don't Sink." You can just imagine the wtf looks we'd exchange up front, and not to mention the passengers and the FA. Mind you, you can't shut it up except by pulling the GPWS CB's. There are some other issues I wouldn't care to discuss here... however, that mod blows. You'll see how bad when you get it.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back