how to go about a pay raise

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

acat

I have come to the conclusion that I am severely underpaid. I make mid 40s and fly a cheyenne for a corporate flight department. I have been there for over 5 years and have 4k total time and an atp certificate. I like my schedule and location but its really starting to get to me that most my pilot friends are making close to double my salary. I keep saying the big raise will come next year but now I've been told that there will be no raises this year and I have my annual review in a couple of months. I am very thankful to still have a job but was wondering if you guys have any tips for me to convince my employers that I'm worth more. I know its not the best time to argue salary but thought i'd feel it out.

How easy are you to replace in your area???? If its easy, you might not want to push it too much. If your company isn't one of the many that are taking a big financial hit during these crappy times, they're really a bunch of low-lifes for not giving you annual raises of some sort for the past 5 years. 45K seems quite low. But maybe they're just waiting for you to ask for it.

All you can do is present your case.

they have givin me raises for the last 5 years. I started a lot lower. Unfortunately for me, I am probably easily replaceable in the current market. There are a million low time pilots that would jump at the chance to make 30k plus around here. I don't think my company bases much on experience. If insurance approves you to fly the plane, you must be just as good as anyone else. I have consistently let the head of the flight department know that I am underpaid but he says that he can't convince the owners to pay industry standard. I'd probably just let it go again, but I'm a little upset that I'm not even getting 3 percent this year. Compared to cost of living increases, my salary is actually going down!

I'm in a similar situation about to ask for more money. The best you can do is arm yourself with data. Do your best to find out what others in similar jobs are making and present that you are underpaid. We are all replaceable, but depending on what the job is you can still have some leverage. Passengers don't like new faces. After several years they obviously like you and most importantly they trust you. That is worth something on the negotiation table. It's a tough time to ask for more money. Most likely the worst they will do is say no, if that's the case then take what they offer until a better job comes along. If they think they can get away with underpaying you they will continue to do so. Don't be afraid to try to get what you are worth. Good Luck

On a side note, can anybody help me out with getting some 2009 NBAA salary numbers? Specifically, maybe someone can send a copy of the page I need so I can have something to give my boss to back up what I am asking for? I would buy it if I could but I can't get the survey as a nonmember. PM me if you can help, it would be much appreciated.

Not uncommon for pilots to take any salary thrown their way, expecially in small operations like yours....only to gripe about it once in the job. Who is to blame?

All you can do is arm yourself with as much data as possible and go for it. At least they will know you are not happy.

Not many numbers people/owners can keep a straight when the pilot walks in and wants his salary doubled.

And yes, bonuses and raises where somewhat off last year. My raise was flat yet bonus slightly up - I felt lucky in this environment. Lots of guys lost ALL their salary.

Good Luck.

You're not gonna get what you feel you deserve all at once...but you might be able to get it in 10-15% chunks annually if you make a strong case supported by industry data. You also might be able to institute programs within your department (contract fuel or shopping insurance, for example) that produce tangible cost reductions which would help bolster your case for more salary...and maybe also improve your job security.

Another consideration (it can be argued if its valid or not) is to adjust the NBAA survey national averages up or down for your local cost of living compared to the national average to see what is a realistic expectation for your locale.

I'd love to make more money (wouldn't we all?) but I'm thankful that I got any bonus and a COLA bump this past year when so many had pay frozen, reduced, or cut all together.

I'm underpaid for my plane (aren't we all). I have flown 5 days in the last two months though, and I figure I'm not going to be very popular if I go into the CP's office and ask for more dough. I feel lucky to still have a job so I don't want to do anything to remind them of the fact that we are overstaffed and our flying has dropped 75%. I'm hoping that when things pick back up and "I still have my job" that I will have a better chance at pleading my case. It seems like it's going to be a tough sell on most anyone to get a raise while our economy is still below what it was. More power to anyone who is getting raises, I'm just jealous of you.....

Last edited:
Not the time for a raise

Try to find out what the career pay rate is for your present position. Start shopping for your next job. Develope a Plan B, have it place. Times are bad now, so it will be tuff to find another place, but by 2012 their will another pilot experince shortage. Elect which you like better your present job, or Plan B. I would not rook the boat right now. At one corporate job I got a 12% rasie the month before I was laid off. BTW I understand flying RPV's in Afgan pays 6 figures plus. Would that be better?

Last edited:
You should've asked a couple of years ago when things were more prosperous. Did you get periodic raises over the course of 5 years or has it been static. At a minimum, you should ensure that there's some form of yearly COLA built in to your salary. As things are, I'd wait until early 2010 to make big waves. Other than that, it's fair to ask for at least a minimal increase in salary for now. Certainly be WELL PREPARED to document/explain why you deseve it.

Lastly, be happy to have a job. It's tough out there.

Latest resources

Back