How to fly cargo in a Falcon 20

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
starchkr said:
731's rule...least problematic engine out there(for our a/c size at least).

Are you kidding? 731's have probably THE WORST reputation of any jet engine out there. Pratts are a far superior product.

Dangerkitty said:
Are you kidding? 731's have probably THE WORST reputation of any jet engine out there. Pratts are a far superior product.

HUH?!? Worst hmmmm....maybe we take better care of them than others do...I mean heck, we do have the BEST mx department in the cargo industry, but we rarely have problems with the engines and we fly hundreds of hours nightly. We do have problems with things related to the engines ie:fuel filters indicators, transmitters and such, but never with the engine itself.

falcon20driver said:
Yes, they're sweet, we're flying cargo /K, FMS and RVSM.

Alan's moving up huh? How long has he had the 20? I left about 5 yrs ago when I started we had Greasy 3's and the Convairs... He had a DC4 and a Bandit, oh and the King air, but his bread butter were the 3's and CV's... hey theres a guy looking for some company info QOL/Pay etc in this section maybe you can help him out...

starchkr said:
HUH?!? Worst hmmmm....maybe we take better care of them than others do...I mean heck, we do have the BEST mx department in the cargo industry, but we rarely have problems with the engines and we fly hundreds of hours nightly. We do have problems with things related to the engines ie:fuel filters indicators, transmitters and such, but never with the engine itself.

Starchkr,

I have flown 6 different jets all with different engines with the exception of two. I have flown GE's, Pratts, Rolls Royce, and Garret. Without exception Garrets have by far the worst reliability and are the MOST maintenence intensive. So much so that Falcon has started to build its newer Falcon lines with different engine types because there have been so many complaints about the 731's. I personally have not had a problem in particular but within 3 years of flying a Falcon bought directly from Dassualt we have replaced one engine and another is due for replacement within the next year. All because Allied Signal can't get their crap together and get something done about the oil seal problem.

Starchkr I'm with you.

I've flown Pratts and 731's. The 731 is a better eng.
The dorkjet has the PW306B. Worst eng. reliability I have ever seen. Just ask any ex-DOJET driver. smokey, burns lots of oil, turbine problems, FADEC faults etc..... Now flyin the PW305A better than the 306B but not by much.

The only engine that is better the the 731 is the GE CF-34 series!!

Dangerkitty,

I don't know, maybe you were flyin a lemon! Maybe these engines are like the Dodge truck line. If you buy a Ram your getting a great truck. If you buy a Dakota, you get a piece of crap. Maybe it's the way they set up the engine?

Falcon Capt said:
Next time you are at FL400, look up at the contrail that is 11,000 ft above you and wave, I'll be wavin' back...

Next time you are at FL510, look down at the, well, I don't have a contrail, but at the airplane 25,000 ft below you...and watch me giving you the finger! :D :D :D

flyin4pennies said:
Dangerkitty,

I don't know, maybe you were flyin a lemon! Maybe these engines are like the Dodge truck line. If you buy a Ram your getting a great truck. If you buy a Dakota, you get a piece of crap. Maybe it's the way they set up the engine?

All I know is that numerous Falcon 50Ex and Falcon 900EX have been returning their aircraft and having to get the engines replaced. Dassault is not too happy and thats why the 7x will not be fitted with 731's. The 2000 Ex already flys on Pratts. We have already had to have one replaced with another on the way. It's some sort of oil seal problem that Allied Signal cant seem to fix.

I have more time in Pratts than anything else. The only other engine I had problems with was the Rolls Royce Allison AE3007's which are on the EMB-145's. RR's reputation took it in the shorts with those engines.

I have never had a problem with a pratt. With over 6000 hours in Pratts I haven't had a single hiccup. JT8D's rule!!

Dangerkitty said:
All I know is that numerous Falcon 50Ex and Falcon 900EX have been returning their aircraft and having to get the engines replaced. Dassault is not too happy and thats why the 7x will not be fitted with 731's. The 2000 Ex already flys on Pratts. We have already had to have one replaced with another on the way. It's some sort of oil seal problem that Allied Signal cant seem to fix.
I had a TFE731-40 blow an oil seal over the Amazon, 3 hours from anywhere... Manaus didn't seem like a viable option for an engine change so we continued on to Caracas, Venezuala and that is where the engine change occured... That was years ago... We ended up changing seals to a new version in all 15 of our -40 motors a couple years ago, the new seals seemed to help quite a bit, engine changes have been down dramatically from what they were when we first got the 50EX's... They still had some issues, but much less than the old seals...

BigD said:
Next time you are at FL510, look down at the, well, I don't have a contrail, but at the airplane 25,000 ft below you...and watch me giving you the finger! :D :D :D
LOL! Now that's not very nice!

Latest resources

Back