How the hell does this happen?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
2 reasons...

1. Ops probably kept telling the crew, "it'll be just another 15 to 20 minutes".

2.The crew is getting paid by the hour. The crew probably didnt "push" for a gate too hard.

The ground stops to DFW that day were hour to hour. When you neared your expected release time, they'd update it and tack on another hour. We went through that for about 3:30 after pushback in STL and finally threw in the towel.

The big problem with an exit strategy in this situation is getting a get and a ground crew (ramp and agents) to work the off schedule aircraft. AA has cut station manning to the bone based normal operations on a CAVU day. Throw in some nasty weather and numerous diversions and the result is pretty predictable. If AA had a plan to handle this, it wasn't a very good one and it appeared to be non standard station to station. After all, winter weather isn't exactly a new unpredictable phenomenon that you can't prepare for.

In regards to pay, I don't think many crews would sit in an MD-80 cockpit for 15 hours under those conditions, paid or unpaid. The truth is that to get paid for ground time during a divert, the Capt must petition his chief pilot for the time less 20 minutes for refueling. Additionally, most crews that day pushed some FAA legality that resulted in them being unable to finish their sequence as scheduled and would lose significant time as a result.

I guess I started a flame war here, when all I wanted to know is how in the hell can there be a situation where someone allows a plane to sit out on the tarmac that long before even the captain gets sick and tired of waiting and does something about it.

I told my wife when I was watching the show yesterday that even the $500/ea wouldn't have been enough compensation for that.

I can understand and appreciate the deviation due to Wx, but the disregard of people out in those conditions FOR NINE HOURS is pretty thoughtless, and deserving of more than an anonymous "sorry.... and here's $500 to fly with US again".

Wait, why really did the airline owe them anything? You and I didn't get that tank of gas for $1.25 per gallon after the gulf coast storms, we had to pay more, right? Someone else was willing to pay more for it and that's the same thing here really. It was economically more important to take care of normal ops. If the customers wanted a gate quicker they should have pooled their credit cards, called AA customer service on a cell phone and offered 15 or 20 grand for quicker gate. That would have probably worked quicker than just sitting there waiting. AA is a business just like energy, money talks.

I'm exagerating of course, but I think it's a somewhat valid point. I mean everyone is safe and secure and eventually got where they needed to be. The wx was bad, that's all.

Heyas,

It is stuff like this, not financial shenanegans, that will eventually re-regulate the industry...

Nu

If I have paid for a ticket, and complied with the contract of carriage, then flying is very much a right. If on the other hand, the airline has contracted to provide services, which it then does not deliver, then I am entitled to some sort of compensation for the breach of contract. .

Read the fine print in an airline's contract of carriage.

There is absolutely NO guarantee that you will arrive as scheduled. Or even on the airline you bought the ticket from.

Latest resources

Back