• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How senior is SLC for ASA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I agree. If either ASA or SkyWest agreed to the lower rates, mgmt would be able to say, to the other group, "We wanted to give you guys the flying, but in order to stay cost competetive, we had to give it to the other guys. Sorry!" Sending the clear message that the pilots are now expected to buy airplanes by sacrificing compensation.

Unfortunately, though, SkyWest 70-rates are already a substantial "bargain" by management standards. With all the negotiating clout we have now, we'll be lucky to keep what we have. Though you are correct that the cost of closing the domicile and paying to move however many pilots, FA's, and mechanics back to ATL, or wherever, would have to be mitigated somehow.

The base isn't that big. Do we need 3 chief pilots out there? Each making over $115k per year? That would be a pretty good cost saving for Skywest right there.

While the ASA guys in SLC would be pissed off about the base being shut down, alot of us former DFW guys thought these guys acted too quickly. They shut Dallas down in 3 months, it wouldnt take but a month to close SLC, we have no infastructure there. I would not have bought a house that quickly with such a new small base. Especially after we got bent over on our houses in Dallas. I would have preferred SLC over ATL also but I dont trust this company enough to have to move twice. I think its only a matter of time before SLC shut down.

shamrock said:
Virtual basing, DFW, BTR, and PDX.

PDX? I kind of doubt it. Not much DCI flying in and out of PDX. SKYW already has a base there doing UAX in the mighty EMB and there is a little bit of DCI flying. Wouldn't make any sense to open an ASA crew base in PDX but I guess you can't rule anything out these days. I'd look for a HNL base before PDX if I was an ASA pilot.

Plug said:
Great points Bluto, but a lot of money was spent to open SLC and a lot of money would have to be spent to close SLC. Moving costs alone would be a lot! Not to mention the fact that most of the folks in SLC are from the DFW closure and would probably riot should they close SLC 1 year later. I see them keeping it open for 2 reasons: Whipsaw and Whipsaw. Skywest pilots showed unity in saying "NO" to management's most recent pay proposal and they are hoping that they ASA pilots will "cave" and those 700's or 705's or 900's will come to us. (We'll be giving them the same middle finger you did by the way!) But there hope is so they can easily put those planes in the SLC system at either ASA or SKY, whomever will do it for less. JMO though.

Are you sure about SkyWest or ASA flying the CRJ-705s or -900s for Delta? Are you sure about that? The judge questioned the Delta lawyer about that last Wednesday. Nobody knows yet who will get what. We are trying to get the 79 seaters too. It will be interesting indeed....

Bye Bye--General Lee

Last edited:
Net loss = 0

IFlyFL410 said:
I've been here for 3+ years, and I would barely hold a hard line out there at #53 in base. MyASA.com announced yesterday several cities are going away from SLC in Dec. or Jan, I forget which, but nontheless, SLC is being downsized already. But yes, there are newhires out there sitting reserve as well. Good Luck.

Western cities lost was 6. Cities gained = 6. Although total flying may go down. Regardless, it's nice not having to commute. However, I saw 3 domiciles open and close in 5 years at ACA on the DCI side. I, for one, refuse to plan where I live based on this job. Of course, having a good commuter clause made that doable.

General Lee said:
Are you sure about SkyWest or ASA flying the CRJ-705s or -900s for Delta? Are you sure about that? The judge questioned the Delta lawyer about that last Wednesday. Nobody knows yet who will get what. We are trying to get the 79 seaters too. It will be interesting indeed....

Bye Bye--General Lee

I hope you guys get that flying too.
I know they pay-rates won't be that good, but at least they will stay at mainline. It will give others a opportunity to fly for a major one day with possible advancement. Good Luck.

General Lee said:

Bye Bye--General Lee

It will probably be an uphill fight. I think that the time to decide that you wanted RJs at mainline was 20 years ago. Do you think that DAL pilots would be willing to work for a regional pay scale?

Dave Benjamin said:
PDX? I kind of doubt it. Not much DCI flying in and out of PDX. SKYW already has a base there doing UAX in the mighty EMB and there is a little bit of DCI flying. Wouldn't make any sense to open an ASA crew base in PDX but I guess you can't rule anything out these days. I'd look for a HNL base before PDX if I was an ASA pilot.

I just heard the rumor from one of our more "imaginative" pilots and thought I'd throw it out there.

I don't pay much attention to what I hear until it's in a company memo or I see it in a press release but I thought the virtual basing idea was interesting.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back