Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How often do you call in sick in a rolling year?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Fly2Scuba

Just curious as to how many times the typical pilot calls in sick in a year? I just got over my fourth sick call in a rolling year; have to wait till October or put up with more crap with my companies' attendance policy. Also wondering if anyone has been suspended/disciplined from their company over sick calls. It's a nice contradiction to read the FARs that state thall shall not fly sick versus the airlines' discouragement from calling in sick; over 3 times in a year as my understanding at most airlines. How are the policies stated at your airline?

Last edited:
ASA is 3 "occurances" in 6 months or 4 in a year before you start drawing attention to yourself.

"It's a nice contradiction to read the FARs that state thall shall not fly sick versus the airlines' discouragement from calling in sick"

Yup. Although in my experience our CPs know the drill. I help that by waiting for a certain CP to be available when I get the "Please see a Chief Pilot to discuss your attendance" letter.

Some guys here have timing sick calls down to a science and give themselves a little extra vacation every 3 or 4 months. I've been sick more in the 3 years I've been in sh!thole Atlanta than I was in the previous 10 so I try not to push it. That being said, I don't agree with the company's assertion that a Buffett concert isn't reason enough to call in sick, so I have taken a few liberties.

I guess I'm one of thoes people that actually like going to work (read flying, not sitting in the crashpad). When I left ALG for MDA I had 5 years worth of sick time, 220+ hours. I haven't called in sick here yet. Every year i was at alg I used to get letters from flight ops congratulating me on perfect attendance, then at some point they published the employees with perfect attendance for the previous calander year and I never herd the end of it. Since it looks like a furlough is comming at me in sept or Oct I better start burning mine off.

I usually have 3-4 calls a year. Pinnacle starts the disciplinary process at 4 "events" in a rolling 12 months. Events include sick calls, missed trips, JM refusals, etc... The policy is in the process of being changed however. I think the company realized that they could get themselves into some considerable legal troubles if they keep disciplining people for calling in sick.

I average one sick call a month, Im sick right now infact! Last year i called in sick for 3 four day trips in the same month, Comair didn't even want a doctors note.

A friend of mine was called in to see the chief pilot, he had missed over three months worth of flying since the beging of the year(it was only september), and the chief pilot told him to try and keep his "sickness" under control.

Comair is very good when it comes to sick calls.

PCL_128 said:
I usually have 3-4 calls a year. Pinnacle starts the disciplinary process at 4 "events" in a rolling 12 months. Events include sick calls, missed trips, JM refusals, etc... The policy is in the process of being changed however. I think the company realized that they could get themselves into some considerable legal troubles if they keep disciplining people for calling in sick.

I thought we weren't allowed to be sick at 9E ;) Looks like it's time to review the FOM again.

Me? Not more than once or twice a year, although I just spoke with a guy today who said he'd called in sick 21 times in the last 18 months and never had to speak with anyone.

Looks like I've got some work to do to catch up...

Latest resources

Back