How not to conduct a SLI after a merger

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

waveflyer

As the threads move into double digit pages after a day- and both sides arguing whether they won or will win eventually -

for the rest of us- who could all be wrapped up in a M&A/SLI situation at anytime-

is anyone confused that there will be no winners in the USAir debacle?

Don't think it will be classified as a "winner" as both sides have lost something. Eventually there will be a final list, and I'm sure that will be tested by the courts, or attempted (if the west has the money). Then it will be final, or redone again.

That's the only thing that's for sure. Though read the decision, it hints at alot. Such as the idea that the NIC is definitely an obstacle for the union to get a contract voted in, and the west guys aren't damaged until we actually see what is put in place.

But even after all that's gone on I still have the same basic question. How do both sides agree to binding arbitration and then choose not to follow said outcome?

SLC
:cool:

Buyers remorse, or lying. Take your pick.

I see a bunch of AWA guys who in my opinion won the arbitration via the nic. (yes in my opinion, which counts for nothing the nic favored the west) Afterwards you had some very sore winners showing poor charactor on the west side. Now the opposite is true. This verdict obviously favors the East and they are on here as very poor winners.

Two hard headed pilot groups that think they either saved the otherside, brought all the good flying to the merger, This side was going out of business, that side is just a large regional.........it goes on and on.

The good news is they have provided a blueprint on how not to handle a SLI.

Well, as the courts have mentioned. That binding arbitration was a internal ALPA policy. Which the way that policy was structured with the T/A agreement, a CBA wouldn't be ratified for YEARS. The courts seem to agree, that, the internal process can be vacated, as long as the secondary route still treats east and west fairly.

Definition of fair???? That it falls within a WIDE Range of Reasonableness. I would imagine that if any SLI follows the new federal law, it would be considered reasonable?

how to handle an SLI-
Make your case- advocate it- lay aside the stupid hormonal emotion and ego- let it go to a neutral- live with the result- and get to the real work of attaining a good contract and getting everyone on the same page so the business makes money-

there are guys on the east and west so wrapped up in this that it has caused divorces and health issues-.... Already- much less what it does to you over time.

seriously not worth it-

Any list should be based on who each pilot could expect to happen at the time of the merger. At USAir, pilots were furloughed and things looked grim. At AWA, pilots were being hired and airplanes were being purchased. How a USAir pilot could expect anything more than being employed, let alone called back in their situation is beyond me.

Trouble is that they both agreed to a process and ALPA failed them both. Hear that? ALPA failed. Your airline could be next. Do you want them deciding your fate? In the meantime, the court rules that the East pilots can negotiatie a contract, however they need to be careful to protect the West pilots. Do you trust Usapas intentions?

Any list should be based on who each pilot could expect to happen at the time of the merger. At USAir, pilots were furloughed and things looked grim. At AWA, pilots were being hired and airplanes were being purchased. How a USAir pilot could expect anything more than being employed, let alone called back in their situation is beyond me.

This is the challenge created with mergers. Somehow we got to the point where we take a snapshot at some appointed time and go on the assumption that the airlines involved will continue their current path barring the said merger. This thought process is flawed. Look at CO in the early 90's, they sucked. Look at them now. Look at USAir in the 80's Look at them now.

USAir/AWA pilots got burned by this. AWA thinks they saved USAir.. Really if so why didn't Parker let them go out of business and pick up the pieces. USAir seems to feel they got bought by shrinking airline with no future and no real presence outside of PHX. The closing of LAS didn't help.

I have real heartburn with the subjective ways of figuring a SLI. (relative seniority, career expectations ect.) Now that UAL is involved in the process I am keeping my mouth closed a little more as cooler heads must prevail. Hopefully there will be over 10,000 pissed off pilots when it's done then we know it was done right.

Latest resources

Back