Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How much to own and fly your own plane annually?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I want my own plane to fly to all the wonderful flyin destinations the Northeast US has to offer. For example:

Block Island, RI: In the summer on a weekend its such a great place to fly to! Land on the island in the Atlantic, park, rent a bike or moped and ride into town for some fresh seafood! Then ride around the island to sightsee, go to the beach, eat some salt water taffee. Heck book a hotel in advance and spend the night on the island drinking at the bars overlooking the water with the Rolling Stones blasting from the bars outdoor patio speakers. What a great time! Fly back the next day.

Newport, RI: Another wonderful place to fly into and spend the day and night. Many excellent seafood restaurants here as well as women! and beaches. Also a very scenic path along the Atlantic Ocean that has famous mansions along it. Good nightlife too!

Montauk, NY: Right at the very tip of Long Island! Great approach over a sand dune. The beach is 1 mile from the airport and a restaurant is very close by! Its the Hamptons! A great place to enjoy in the summer.

Marthas Vineyard, MA: Very rich island off the coast of Cape Cod with excellent bike paths, and a quaint village with shops and seafood. The beach is nice too!

Portland, ME: Great city to visit! The old port district has some great bars and restaurants. In the summer this area is packed with visitors and locals enjoying the nightlife. Old Orchard Beach is 25 mins away by rental car or cab.

West Dover, VT: In the winter this airport is nestled along the valley where there is a great ski resort. Also a restaurant nearby! Nothing better than flying with your skis in the cabin to an airport nearby a ski slope in the winter time!

The list goes on......I love the Northeast for flying! Hard to see and do it all if you are just renting all the time because you can not always overnight planes if you rent and some FBOs do not allow you to fly their planes in IFR conditions.

Do a partnership. I'm in a three-way in a C182. It sure takes the sting out of that 1500 insurance payment. I flew 15 hrs this past quater and the wet rate was approx. 60/hr. That figure includes all the fixed costs as well. This is probably at least half the cost of renting comparable equipment.

It's been said before but there are many intangible benefits to owning that are hard to put a price on and to me are worth a lot.

I am an A/P and i truly enjoy maintaining the aircraft. Somehow the flight is sweeter after i've put a little sweat and TLC into the machine. It's just a little more satisfying to me.

Well, over here in Euroland everything is so much more expensive we have a saying: If it floats, flies or fornicates - rent, don't buy ;)

FYI, renting a really clapped-out VFR only C172 is around USD 200/hr incl fuel. A nice Piper Malibu is currently listed at USD 450/hr!

Now if you have the inclination, "my" company will rent you a 757 freighter at EUR 4500/hour incl. fuel but sans handling.

EuroWheenie said:
FYI, renting a really clapped-out VFR only C172 is around USD 200/hr incl fuel. A nice Piper Malibu is currently listed at USD 450/hr!

ya gotta love the exchange rate....

Does anybody have anything good to say about a PA-32?I heard it refered to as a 300hp flying station wagon.And would it be a smart investment to get you A&P?

This Flightjock 30 guy is a real piece of work.
First he starts in on wanting a career selling airplanes, I tried to help him out here:
http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=51876

Back when he started that thread he stated in his profile that he was ex-military and had over 3,000 hrs. Now I see that he has 300tt.

So which is it?
:confused:

No, I sell employee benefits. But I do own a couple of airplanes and have strong contacts with those that do sell airplanes.

So you must do well selling benefits if you can afford a couple of planes.Do you work for a company or do it on your own?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back