How much is enough $$$ ?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BigFlyr

Just wondering what the average pilot out there thinks is enough money to make it worth while living out of a suitcase until the big "SIX-OH". Seriously... Top pay and how long to achieve it...Flying any jet that hauls at least 50 pax.

I'll start by putting my .02 in... How about $30K as a first year FO, $50K by the third year and $100K by the 10th year assuming you're a captain by then... After that it would depend on the equipment being flown.

Last edited:
How about

Why ask for one meelion dollars when we could ask for one thousand dollars? muhhhhaahahahahahahaha

Regional

Year 1 - FO Pay in training w/ hotel provided
$24 hr
2 - 35
5 - 45-50

capt.

1 - 60
3 - 69
5 - 73

1st year regional - $30K (hey ... you need to be able to live comfortably and some first year FO's have families, they aren't just 23 year old single guys.)

3rd Year Regional FO - $45K

1st Year Regional Capt. - $60K (As a captain, making double what you made as a first year FO is a good way to go.)

Top Off Salary - Regional Capt. - $100K

1st Year Major FO - $45K

3rd Year Major FO - $60K

1st Year Capt. - $75K

Top Off Salary - Major Capt. - $250K+

I personally think pilot pay is OK other than the first year. If they raised that about $10K it would make alot of people happier!

$100,000 max for regional captain? We already have 70 seat captains making more than that. How about minimum wage, or better yet, FREE. That sounds great.

Lets not go backwards!!!

hey flyingtoilet,

I agree 100%. I don't mean to sound greedy but an airline pilots career is more tempermental than any other field. There are a million violations, illnesses, and economic conditions that can freeze, slow down, or totally ruin your career. Not to mention that a mistake can cost you your own life. If you are lucky enough to make it to the top of your airline, then there are great rewards. How about the eastern, pan-am, braniff, and twa pilots who had to start over at the bottom, ask them if they are paid too much. What about the past several decades where many regional pilots qualified for food stamps. Also, the national airline pilots are not making a killing either. There are a few airline pilots that make a ton of money and receive all the attention when it comes to pilot salaries, but for the rest of us, it's simply not that way. I would never want to hurt the bottom line of my airline and I would take a pay cut in a second if it meant saving the airline or to prevent furloughs. On top of that, fair is fair. I'm not going to put a number on what we are worth, but have you looked at what management makes(no medical, checkrides, or emergencies). I know, we shouldn't compare, I just thought I would say it.

asacap said:
$100,000 max for regional captain? We already have 70 seat captains making more than that. How about minimum wage, or better yet, FREE. That sounds great.

Lets not go backwards!!!

Sorry, didn't mean to imply maxed out at 100K, I just meant at least 100K by the 10th year... MINIMUM. Of course, I think everyone should be into six figures by the 5th year as a Captain, regardless if you're at a major or a national or regional.

Realistically, now just flying your guarantee... say an average of about 70 to 80 hours per month I DONT think there are too many regional pilots out there making 100K per year or more. More like 65K... Isn't it pathetic?:(

Last edited:
How about .50/hr more than Airline X?? You know, "Airline X just signed a new contract . . . . "

Latest resources

Back