How much are you hoping for?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Schrode said:
Sometimes I wonder, who would get into aviation anymore? I see guys learning to fly, or doing 206 charter . . . How long will they work (or rather how many) before they realize they are risking their lives for jobs that pay 16-20K a year for the first 10 years of their "professional" flying carreer?

For those smart "the market drives wages" guys . . . what happens if we run out of "qualified" pilots? We are almost there. Will pilot salaries GO UP? Will Southwest have to charge $200 each way now - to pay pilots? Oh yeah, that's what it cost in the 70's . . . but management figured out how to make it cheaper (then retired with MILLIONS) by cutting and reducing employee pay.

My point is this: We here at NJA will, eventually, achieve what the "market" will bear - which is, in my opinion, higher than what some believe currently possible. In 5-10 years, we will be in the largest defecit of "qualified" pilots since flying began. And the pilots at NJA will be "qualified and current" - hireable at any airline and more importantly, able to demanad, or require a competitive, professional salary from any way you look at it. If the company does not pay this, someone else will. The "market" will soon have to provide for the finacial needs of quality and skilled pilots everywhere. To get, or to keep qualified and competent pilots, NJA will have to meet the needs of the pilot group.

If a pilot shortage results from low pay, which I also believe will happen, then the market which you so eloquently denigrate will respond by increasing pay, in order to attract pilots. Unions do this destructively and irrationally, at the wrong time, while the market does it when necessary, by the dictates of the iron laws of the free market. By the way, whenever you read the words, "Industry Leading Contract," start updating your resume! Your company has just been priced out of the competitive market! USAir has labor costs twice those of Southwest!

as214 said:
If you people think 100k is a good salary I feel sorry for you.. I made 100k in the past two months. Some of you self-worthless freaks need a dose of reality

Yeah but how did you get that taste out of your mouth

The industry redefines quailifed on a regular basis in order to ensure an adequate pool of pilots to hire. Look at the year 2000, 350TT, 50 MEL and you had a job at a regional. Properly trainned can perform to industry standards. The European do it, the military does it, there will always be pilots to hire. Read E. Gann it was hard to get an airline job in 1938.

Latest resources

Back