Votes: 42 13.8%
  • 60-90

Votes: 22 7.2%
  • 90 or more

Votes: 68 22.4%

• Total voters

scubabri

Junior Mint
for all you guys under 1000 hours looking for a job, how many resumes have you sent out? I just sent out about 70, and the "sorry, no openings" are starting to come in :(

sigh

Resume spamming

You have to send out 100 resumes at a minimum. You're not trying hard enough if you send less than that.

There is no shortage of places to which you can send resumes. Nowadays, with the internet, it's easy to locate those places. Use your imagination to find other places. I found great places in pilot magazines. For example, I never knew that Mesa Airlines had a flight school until I saw it advertised in a pilot magazine. MAPD was advertising for students, so I concluded that it might need instructors. I sent MAPD a resume and was hired there eventually.

In addition, you should be grabbing a sheaf of resumes and hand-delivering them to all airports within driving distance.

Sometimes, you have to send the same places resumes several times before you hear anything. A good excuse for sending resumes again is if you add ratings, build time, etc. Then, you say that you are updating.

Yes, you will get rejection letters, if you're lucky. You'll probably hear nothing at all from most places. It sucks. I know. It is said that a mass resume campaign yields, at best, a 3% response rate. It may seem like a big waste of time and resources, but it's also like playing the lottery. That one resume you thought would be a waste of time to send might result in a phone call.

Good luck with your job search.

Ok, I've sent out resumes to all of the flight schools I could find contact information for.

154 to California, Washington, Idaho, Colorado, Alaska, Utah, New Mexico, Arizona, Florida, Minnesota, Wyoming and Montana

sigh... you would think that at least one of them needs a flight instructor.

b

List of flight schools

Here's a list of some more schools. Start typing and printing! :)

Good luck with your efforts. Something will pop.

Bobby's right

Heck, send 200! I sent a resume to every place I could find that I was remotely qualified for and a few that I wasn't. It's a good thing I did, because when 9-11 went down, I was on the list of folks who "showed interest before 9-11". It's interesting that one of the resumes I sent out on a whim was to my current employer and I couldn't be happier. Good luck.

Job hunting

Thanks, Hugh.

For that matter, why limit yourself to instructing only? I know you have not, based on your other threads, but, just the same, you have 700 hours and your Commercial certificate. You should cast your net wide. Apply to 135 operations. Corporations, etc. You never know what you might land. If it were me, I would not apply to the commuters at this time. Just too many ahead of you with the quals they want. I would start with them when hiring gets better, which it will. The exception would be if you have someone who can hand-carry a resume to H.R., accompanied by that person's LOR.

Finding pilot work is an exceedingly frustrating endeavor. Take it from someone who really does know. You have to do it. No one is going to come to you. You have to let them know that you're ready, willing, and available.

Once more, best of luck with your job search.

Last edited:
I am. In fact I did get a flight instructing job in California, but not as a result of sending resumes out. So far all of the resumes i've gotten responses from are negative.

So, I'm packing up my 4 boxes of stuff, my clothes and heading out from Florida monday morning 2864 miles... long drive.

I'm hoping this is a good start to building some more hours. I've averaged 20 hours a month for the last 6 months, and although I know its more than a lot of people, that's no consolation. I'm 37 years old, times-a-wasting ;)

And you are probably wondering why I am ditching the King Air delivery thing and the chance for right seat in a Citation. The answer, when you know more than the guy flying the plane, you just don't feel safe. Time to move on, again.

b

Tha last mass resume mailing I did was a few years ago. I sent out 350 resumes and had a 8% positive response. It was twice what I had expected.

Just keep sending them until you get a "do not send anymore" response.

Glen

Go to this website and order either this book, or the CD. It is THE premiere listing of all certificated airines, charter operators, manufacturers, and parts suppliers in the world. It contains fleet size, type(s) of a/c flown, types of a/c on order, engines on lease, etc., as well as names addresses, and phone numbers of officers, managers and department heads It is published by the same people who publish Aviation Week & Space Technology. No one who is serious about selling a product, service, or themselves to the world's aviation industry would be caught dead without it:

http://www.aviationweek.com/subscrip/wad/index.htm

Trust me on this one; as someone who was an executive in sales for the world's largest aviation insurance broker, I know what I'm talking about.

View your current situation as a sales job: plan your work and work your plan. Go to Office Depot and get the latest edition of ACT! contact management software. Use this valuable tool to keep up with your contacts and your progress. If you were working for me and told me you had contacted 70 prospective clients, I would say, "that was before you went to lunch, right?"

Go rent the movie Wall Street and watch how Bud Fox hounds and hounds the secretary until he gets the meeting with Gordon Gekko then, take the effort he put in, multiply it by fifty, take that number and cube it, and you might be working hard enough in your new found sales job to make the ultimate sale -- yourself to a prospective employer. But whatever, you do , don't fly for free.

Best of luck,
titty
(a.k.a. the sales manager)

:cool:

Latest resources

Back