Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How many of United's L-1011s are still in service?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Didn't PSA (the original PSA) acquire a couple of L1011's shortly before being bought out by US Air? They were going to use them to Hawaii, I believe.

KC-10 Driver said:
Didn't PSA (the original PSA) acquire a couple of L1011's shortly before being bought out by US Air? They were going to use them to Hawaii, I believe.

I don't know when or how many L-1011's PSA purchased or where they flew them, but they did fly them. I used to have a picture of one of them on my PC's wallpaper. If I'm not mistaken, PSA had painted smiles on them too.

Clyde said:
I don't know when or how many L-1011's PSA purchased or where they flew them, but they did fly them. I used to have a picture of one of them on my PC's wallpaper. If I'm not mistaken, PSA had painted smiles on them too.

PSA operated two L1011s for s short time in the mid seventies. PSA never had plans for Hawaii operations in any airplanes. As a matter of fact I think they were still restricted to California operations only when they had the Lockheeds. The PSA aircraft were unique in that they had a boarding stair from the lower lobe and there was baggage stowage in this area as you boarded. I believe LTU wound up operating these airplanes for a time after PSA got rid of them.

Clyde said:
More trivia:

For a little while, Eastern Airlines operated the DC-10-30 and the 747-100. Not sure where the -10's came from or how long they flew them for, but the 747's were leased from Pan Am.

Delta also operated the 747 for a short time, as well as the DC-10. They also operated the A310 for a short time.

Shortly after the AirCal purchase, American Airlines operated 737-200's and 737-300's.

Northwest operated 757-200's with RR powered engines shortly after the acquiring Republic. Republic had ordered them with RR engines, and Northwest got rid of them when the Pratt powered 757's showed up.

Both United and American operated the 747SP.

Remember Air Florida? They operated DC-10-30 service with aircraft on lease from TransAmerica.

Eastern got the DC10-30s from Alitalia. Delta got Dc-10s from both UAL and Western

ATA only has 5 left , 4 500s and 1 100. I think we're the only US operaters with them. Best aircraft in the world.
after the 727 and the DC-3

Latest resources

Back