• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How many hours are you guys flying?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You got it all wrong, don't go by hours flown, go by days worked (include R.O.N. days whether flying or not). That's a much better guage of quality-of-life in corporate flying.

You are absolutely right. I should have worded my question the other way round, asking first for days worked and RON's, followed by hours flown as supplemental information.

Either way please keep the information coming in folks. This is good ammunition for me although being that it's totally informal is going to be a problem. The 2008 Stanton Group survey (which is hard factual published data) quotes the following:

average days flown per month 13.8 days (=166 days/year)
average nights away per month is 10.5 (=120 nights/year)
average block time per pilot per month is 40.2 hrs (=482 hrs/year)

We are working approx 187 days, 83 rons's and 400 hrs per year.

Compared to the Stanton report we're not that far out of line. But compared to what we hear chatting at FOB's and what you folks are saying here we're working and flying more.

Isn't it just nice to have a job?
Dude, what part of :D did you not get? I was trying to be funny and it would seem that I failed in your eyes. Even my buddy, who was out of work for 8 months before getting back into a flying seat, or my brother, who never got back into the cockpit after his airline disappeared (8 years and counting), would get that joke and laugh. I'm sorry you or someone you know lost their job; its really a shame that you've lost your sense of humor.

Oh OK I get it! It was funny. Sorry. Everything is OK out there. We are all doing just great.

This info is useful for the OP, but I would take it with a grain of salt. Most of the answers are coming from guys with good jobs. They don't fly much and are home most nights. You're not hearing from the guys working their butts off because nobody wants to brag about working hard. Look at the W-2 thread in the majors section. All the SWA guys are chiming in, but you're not hearing a whole lot from the rest of the airline guys. The info is accurate, but it's only telling you part of the story. It probably isn't indicative of the average. My guess it's the same with this thread.

Latest resources

Back