• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How many furloughs/losses by fall?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Well, let's see here (and nobody get your panties in a wad, everyone is in trouble, we're just brainstorming here, not picking on any airline in particular):

CAL: 300
UAL: 950
DAL/NWA: ???
UAir: 900-1,000

Frontier: 300 (if they don't go out completely).
AAI: 150 (just a guess, we'll find out tonight or tomorrow)
Midwest: 100
Spirit: 250

That's around 3,000 MORE furloughs by this time next year, over the 1,000 pilots already on the street. And this won't be a short-term deal like after 9/11, this will be a prolonged 3-5 year adjustment unless oil goes back under $100 a Brl for more than 6 months and looks to stay there.

Not to mention the F/A's, ground support staff, closures of small, unprofitable cities, etc. Those job losses plus service loss plus ticket price increases are likely to bring the clammor from the public to government officials to "DO SOMETHING" to bring back service and low prices.

It's going to suck for a while, and there aren't many other jobs out there (certainly not flying jobs) that will pay the bills with the higher cost of living and lower value to the dollar we're suffering.

Nasty environment for aviation... If you have training in some other field, I'd take the opportunity to brush up on it and put some feelers out there if you're in the bottom 10-20% of ANY airline's seniority list (except maybe the normal 4 that seem to keep growing regardless like SWA, FDX, UPS, and NetJets).

Good luck to everyone.

I will guess 500+ at nwa(hope I am wrong) Less, maybe none at dal.

Well, let's see here (and nobody get your panties in a wad, everyone is in trouble, we're just brainstorming here, not picking on any airline in particular):

CAL: 300
UAL: 950
DAL/NWA: ???
UAir: 900-1,000

Frontier: 300 (if they don't go out completely).
AAI: 150 (just a guess, we'll find out tonight or tomorrow)
Midwest: 100
Spirit: 250

That's around 3,000 MORE furloughs by this time next year, over the 1,000 pilots already on the street. And this won't be a short-term deal like after 9/11, this will be a prolonged 3-5 year adjustment unless oil goes back under $100 a Brl for more than 6 months and looks to stay there.

Not to mention the F/A's, ground support staff, closures of small, unprofitable cities, etc. Those job losses plus service loss plus ticket price increases are likely to bring the clammor from the public to government officials to "DO SOMETHING" to bring back service and low prices.

It's going to suck for a while, and there aren't many other jobs out there (certainly not flying jobs) that will pay the bills with the higher cost of living and lower value to the dollar we're suffering.

Nasty environment for aviation... If you have training in some other field, I'd take the opportunity to brush up on it and put some feelers out there if you're in the bottom 10-20% of ANY airline's seniority list (except maybe the normal 4 that seem to keep growing regardless like SWA, FDX, UPS, and NetJets).

Good luck to everyone.

Looks like we are going to be able to reduce our furloughs significantly at CAL with a new LOA between the company and union that spells out early outs and long term voluntary reduced flying and COLA's. Some on both sides think there will be none at all should this work out. My guess, about 100 involuntary separations from CAL.
IAHERJ

oh yeah.....

MESA SUCKS!

JUST IN CASE ANYONE FORGOT.

The ticket prices are up and the planes are full. Ticket prices have been a joke for years and the public knows it.

Everyone is waiting for a recession, but we are already in one, and people have kept flying. Consumer confidence has been at an all time low for awhile now.

I just think this stuff might be exagerated some, so the public will accept higher prices.

Latest resources

Back