• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

how many failed checkrides is too many

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Reality check . . . . . Getting hired is about competition and it's got nothing to do with fair. In fact, there's isn't much "fair" about this whole profession.

Goffer said:
I'd like to think the majority of us that are pursuing a career in aviation as a professional pilot aren't in it for the money, were in it for the love and romance of flight.

Dude!!!

Pass the weed!!!:D

Where's the romance after 8 hours off flying and a 14 hour duty day?

Its on the TV in the hotel room for $12.95.

But seriously folks, the guy can tell me all day that he has a good job, it pays a large 6 figure income, but that corner office window has nothing on my view out MY window.

Getonit, I would do what another post said, I would put in some time where you are at or if you get a regional position and I would make those busts a thing of the past. Put some good experience in front of them and I dont think you will have that much problem once the industry gets straightened out.

Good luck

LR25

Whats going to seperate.............

the winners from the losers is how many times you get up..... Keep after it.

I don't care if you are the greatest darn pilot walking the planet, anyone can get nervous on a checkride. I get really nervous, just the way I am. In the words of my examiner, "find me a pilot who hasn't busted a check ride, and I will show you a pilot I don't know". Don't sweat it. I failed my first Instrument Checkride, and I was very upset over it. My examiner who is a super fellow, basically lectured me then on why I should not be embarrassed, upset, etc.

I can tell you this sir. If you passed your ATP, then you are a qualified pilot. There are tons of qualified pilots with test anxiety.

You'll be fine!
John Hewlett

I am the best pilot ever invented. I fly to circles around you all. I cut you off in pattern and then go to sleep with your girlfreind and make the sex!

I fly for 23 years and I never crash. I make the love to stewardesses all day and night. I fly circles around you Cessna.

I Jimbo the Good Pilot!

WOW!!! What an accent!!!!

I caught myself reading Jimbo's post with an accent. I couldn't tell if it's Ukranian or Greek. There are some funny characters here.

To ya'll:

Don't take life too seriously, nobody gets out alive!!!

BN

Jimbo sounded Argentinian to me. But I can't imagine some family in S. America comming up with such a redneck name.

Speaking of love hate relationships, anyone remember FCharter? I miss that guy! (not.)

S.

Draginass said:
Reality check . . . . . Getting hired is about competition and it's got nothing to do with fair. In fact, there's isn't much "fair" about this whole profession.

(emphasis added to original)

Boy, isn't that the truth!!

Checkride politics exists. It is blatant, sometimes, and you can't fight it. We had an examiner at FSI who played it to the hilt. You did it his way or it's the highway (or pink slip, as the case may be). I recall that he had some strange ideas about doing the commercial maneuvers. Everyone who went to him were warned about it. Also, I am sure this man played favorities with instructors. If you were an FSI grad, your student had a better chance. I was not an FSI grad. I sent a CFI student to him who was really sharp. This was no punk but a former A.T. & T. junior executive who made megabucks before deciding he really wanted poverty and an aviation career. Still a young guy. Anyway, this examiner busted him for some bogus incident in the pattern at Sebastian. I also heard that this same examiner busted people because he didn't like it that FSI had just obtained self-examining authority.

None of this was fair at all. Of course, I didn't like having to take a bust on my record, but it's worse for the student because he had a bogus failure on his record on which he has to put the happy face at interview. That is humiliating. Fortunately, my student overcame it. He got on as a CFI at FSI and made it to ASA. Good for him! He was a good guy.

Jimbo must have been in the islands during his sabbatical because he has picked up an accent or dialect that he didn't have before. Give it up pal. There's only one Jimbo, and Jimbo you ain't.

Latest resources

Back