Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How many Continental newhires for year 2006?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Palomino

any CAL newbies or old guard getting any solid info for Continental's hiring wave?

how many for 2006? and beyond?

don't worry...i'm not betting my future on speculation, but inside info is appreciated.

Currently hiring 16 a WEEK until the end of the year. XMAS and Thanksgiving weeks excluded. Plan is to continue to hire 16 a week until sometime in April. There should be a system bid out in the January-February time frame and that should spell out hiring past April 06. Main reasons are normal and early retirements (in 2007, we retire 1 pilot a day) and aircraft deliveries. We accepted 3 ATA 757-300's and 4 737-800's in the 3RD QTR '05. We are taking delivery of 3 757-300's and 3 737-800's in the 4TH QTR '05. 2006 delivery plans are for the last 4 ATA 757-300's (we are trading 4 737-700's for them) and 6 737-800's. We take delivery of 2 777-200's in the 1ST QTR of '07 and 10 787-800's starting in 1ST QTR '09.

Current fleet for NOV '05 stands as;

18 - 777-200's
16 - 767-400's
10 - 767-200's
11 - 757-300's
41 - 757-200's
12 - 737-900's
97 - 737-800's
36 - 737-700's
63 - 737-500's
48 - 737-300's
___

thanks.

looks like the system bid will firm up the numbers a bit. the retirement numbers sound great though!

May want to chime in with your representatives in DC on the proposed change to the age 60 rule alpa just sent an email out about. If the rule changes, seems like no need for much hiring at CO for awhile. If I'm not mistaken, they are basically hiring for retirements.

JohnDoe said:
May want to chime in with your representatives in DC on the proposed change to the age 60 rule alpa just sent an email out about. If the rule changes, seems like no need for much hiring at CO for awhile. If I'm not mistaken, they are basically hiring for retirements.
that's true, but quite a few of the retirements are early outs as well. There will still be some movement out even if the retirement age is increased.

I hope to hell that doesn't happen, though. No offense, but every airline pilot that is flying today knows the game is up at 60, no matter how well or poorly they made out. They also know or should know that making to sixty after doing a 30yr career without a furlough or strike or loss of a job or whatever, is pretty hard to do. Changing this age sixty rule under the guise of discrimination is pathetic. Wasn't discrimination when it was helping your careers along.

They want to change the rule and make it fair, fine. Every pilot that is BORN today can fly under the new rule. Every pilot or wouldbe pilot that is alive today falls under the old rules.

Sorry for the thread creep.....

quote:
"Sorry for the thread creep....."

I don't see it as thread creep at all. A change to the age 60 rule would have a very definite and tangible effect on the hiring at Continental. As a previous poster said, they stand to retire 1 per day in 2007. Say buh-bye to that if the rule changes.

I have to disagree, through you point has merit at other airlines. We have a frozen A-Fund, to which no more money is being added. Most early outs/normal retirements are taking their lump sum and leaving while the GATT rate is giving the biggest return on their lump sum. The possibility of BK and/or lowering of the GATT rate or a total loss of the A-Fund to the PBGC still exists for the foreseeable future. Anyone who doesn't see that is in denial. I don't think too many pilots would want to risk their lump sum simply for a few more years of flying.

Is it an entire lump sum of retirement or 1/2 the value with the rest payable over the retirement years?

FYI for what its worth

I talked to our CAL ALPA legislative affairs Chairman in the wx room last week. He is very connected In DC and has stated for quite some time and reconfirmed last week he believes no changes in age 60 anytime soon. Just passing on what he said. I guess will find out how accurate his prediction is shortly.

If age 60 were to change and more pilots didn't medical out (due increased medical certification requirements for those above and below 60 which is rumored to be part of any changes) our hiring requirements would decrease significantly if not completely.

Latest resources

Back