• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How many Bluedudes updating their apps

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Coming up on 7 years at B6. Seriously having the discussion with the family about making another move. Never wanted to. Wanted B6 to be my retirement home.

Coming up on 7 years at B6. Seriously having the discussion with the family about making another move. Never wanted to. Wanted B6 to be my retirement home.

Other than my having 5 years on property, ditto. Management in and out of Flight ops is rapidly showing its desire to have JB operate as nothing more than a stepping stone.

Im not going to Delta. Maybe some Trannys want to.

Probably the bottom half of your list will throw in apps. Your retirement numbers aren't great at all coming up for at least this decade, and thoughts of LBB, MAF, and AMA layovers can make anyone dispeptic.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Once they start hiring what would first year pay at Delta look like? In the sandpit right now and it would be a huge (and expensive) move to head back Stateside. However, been here 7 years and patience is wearing thin. The IRS don't make this job worth it any more - and it needs to be worth it to put up with all the BS. Can a family of four survive on first year Delta pay?!

Once they start hiring what would first year pay at Delta look like? In the sandpit right now and it would be a huge (and expensive) move to head back Stateside. However, been here 7 years and patience is wearing thin. The IRS don't make this job worth it any more - and it needs to be worth it to put up with all the BS. Can a family of four survive on first year Delta pay?!

An entry level pilot will be paid at the monthly rate of:
1. $3,377.96 effective July 1, 2012.
2. $3,665.09 effective January 1, 2013.
3. $3,775.04 effective January 1, 2014.
4. $3,888.29 effective January 1, 2015

After OE you're on a first year rate of $61/hr. RSV guarantee is now 72-80. You may break that in the busy summer months if you make yourself available.

Probably the bottom half of your list will throw in apps. Your retirement numbers aren't great at all coming up for at least this decade, and thoughts of LBB, MAF, and AMA layovers can make anyone dispeptic.

Bye Bye---General Lee

It's hard to say how many existing SW/AT guys would make the leap to DAL if they were hiring (maybe some young AT guys stuck on the B-scale might do it if they have the chance before they go over to SW) but it does raise a question about the future. Fast forward a few years and if there is a lot of legacy retirement hiring, seniority list progression and contract improvements how many young pilots are going to choose to sit in the right seat of a 737 for 20+ years if they have a choice? How many are going to pay for a type rating to do it?

I think we will eventually revert to the norms of the past and SW will be a good place to work (not as good as it once was because of slow movement up the list and a very long upgrade) but not the first choice for the majority of younger pilots. For the people at the bottom (especially those over 40) SW is a good job but it doesn't offer any career progression......one aircraft type, one type of flying and a very long upgrade (never for quite a few FO's). SW is a big, mature carrier and the fast growth is over. Most of the CA's have already been hired and they will be in those seats for many years. I have nothing against SW but this is what I see going forward. At some point there isn't going to be anything special about SW.

Not sure I totally agree that the growth days are over for SW going forward. Especially when they just go to the lower 48. Time will tell.

The junior pilots tend to look for greener pastures no matter where they are. We had quite a few Delta pilots make the jump in 07 and 08 over to SW. I could see some junior SW guys make the jump the other way. Overall, I think both DL and SW are both good companies to be at recently. And I don't see that changing anytime soon.

Latest resources

Back