Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

"GO AROUND"

Again?!?!?
I interviewed for a corporate pilot position late last week and have yet to hear anything about getting it or not yet. I felt it went very well and got nothing but positive feedback during the interviews and after. I never really asked a time frame to hear from them and we just left it as we'll let you know soon.

I'm starting to get anxious and was wondering if anyone had experience on how long it usually takes to hear? I know there are a lot a variables for all the people that I interviewed with to get together and give me a thumbs up or down. But, how long does it take to make a hiring decision?

Thanks

Did you send a follow-up letter, expressing your thanks for the interview and summarizing why you are the right person for the job? Basically, you need to send a typical post interview, professional letter send the day or two after the interview. Fax it tonight.

What he said. It's not too late though. Just send it out via snail mail, and handwrite it on personal stationary. Thats what I did:).

Depends..

It really depends on the flight department and the individuals involved. If there is a definite, immediate need for a pilot and the lines of communication between the flight department heads and the higher-ups are well-established and, more importantly, efficient then it should take very little time - definitely less than a week.

However, if there are other people, aside from the chief pilot, that have input on the decision and they have other things going on (e.g. other immediate priorities) then you my have to wait.

In my experience, the larger well-established companies seem to be the fastest while the small company/family owned department can take forever...

I think for my current job it was 6 months or so...

Regardless, you should definitely send a professional follow-up letter. They are quick, easy and seem to be more and more rare in the aviation interview world. Who knows, it may be just the thing to move the process along and get you an answer.

Just another point on the original question. It took me around 5 interviews and 6 months to get hired full time. Our company is considered big. I would just keep in touch with them once every two weeks. Always think positive about the job and on the phone.

If it is a large corporation and HR was involved expect it to take awhile. When I got hired, I had a department interview (CP and line pilots) in Sept., an HR interview in October and was told they would make a decision "soon". Soon was the third week of January the following year. But hey that was 5 years ago and I'm still there so it was worth the wait. Theres a whole plethora of factors that could affect the timeline so be patient. Now that Ive had the chance to sit on the other side of the hiring table, one technique I really like is when an applicant calls the hangar, and "Thanks us for the chance and asks, Is there any other info I can provide you with?" It s a nice subtle way to say, Im still here and havent heard from you.

good luck and let us know what you hear!

Did you send a follow-up letter, expressing your thanks for the interview and summarizing why you are the right person for the job? Basically, you need to send a typical post interview, professional letter send the day or two after the interview. Fax it tonight.

Yeah, I sent three thank you emails saying those exactly things to the three that I interviewed with the following monday. Got a good response saying that a hiring decision would be made soon.

I know they are interviewing at least one more person and probably more so that may have something to do with it. They are filling a few positions and they are using HR to get applicants cause after me they have run out of internal rec's. So that may have a factor in it as well.

I don't think I am out of the running, but this is the first corporate interview that I have done and I didn't ask for a time to hear during the interview. I didn't know if a week or more is a long time to wait to hear.

It is a rather large department and one of the 3 that I met with left the next day for a 4 day trip. The need was immediatly, from what I was told in the interview. My insider that reccomended me said he would put the feelers out next week.
Thanks

Last edited:
Yeah, I sent three thank you emails saying those exactly things to the three that I interviewed with the following monday. Got a good response saying that a hiring decision would be made soon.

Then sit tight.

I know they are interviewing at least one more person and probably more so that may have something to do with it.

Uhhh...good thinking....sit tight.

It is a rather large department

Then really sit tight...

You have already answered pretty much ALL the reasons they haven't been back on the horn with you....

other interviews...

decision makers out of town....

large outfit...

you get the idea.....

I know you're anxious, but relax, have a drink and go bang your spouse....

You'll hear soon enough one way or the other. And remember, "soon" can be much different in a company such as Microsoft vs. your local twinkie manufacture.

Hang in there.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back