Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How long until pilots replaced with UAVs??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Interesting how the opinions divide on this. High-timers generally agree it's a non-issue, lower-timers see it happening in their lifetimes.

FWIW, it'll never happen in the next 30 years!

osu_av8r said:
This conjures up a vision of a Homer Simpson-like character in a deep sleep with his feet propped up on the console
That's no "vision," dude. I see that at least once a week on the line...:)

capt. megadeth said:
Don't we already do that?

somewhat yes, but not to extent like the Stealth. Someday this style of single pilots ops is what I predict. and a big maybe, okay HUGE maybe, cargo ops could go pilotless. But not in my working days or yours.

just a prediction, no fact to draw me to it. maybe $1 bet for the long pick. what are the odds paying?

Bump...

I guess if we were to go to "pilotless" airlines the terrorist's won't have to physically get into the cockpit to take over a flight. They'll just figure a way to hack into the system to fly more airplanes into buildings.

JMHO

Sometime in the next 20 yrs a flight crew will consist of the pilot and his dog. The pilot will be there to watch the computer fly the airplane, the dog to bite the pilot's hand if he tries to touch anything. :D

Sometime in the next 20 yrs a flight crew will consist of the pilot and his dog. The pilot will be there to watch the computer fly the airplane, the dog to bite the pilot's hand if he tries to touch anything. :D

Said about the 747-400 15 years ago.

CE

You all are crazy. They only buy old tired used airplanes. I'd love to see them retrofit a 70's vintage 72 with that crap. Or a 30 year old MD-11 by the time the technogy is here. Not to mention the global support network it would take to fly them. Definitely technologically possible in a couple decades. However I don't think the frieght companies will stray from their successful policy of paid-for cheap airplanes.

Didn't UPS just get some NEW B757's.
Fedex and UPS buy NEW A380's

CE

just sayin'

FDX does have orders for (10) 380's. We have 330+ others that are far from new and we are buying 80-something old 757-200s. Fred likes deals. I don't know where UPS is getting new ones since the line was closed a while ago.That 380 was purchased to fill a niche, China. If there were a fleet of old dogs that had the capacity those would have been the ten. Old airplanes carry frieght just good as new airplanes and the boxes don't bitch about the gross crapper or our meals (Crap in a box and igloo bungied to the deck). You will see automated aircraft here only after they have been rode hard and put away wet by, US Major, Euro LCC, 3d World Airline, then we'll buy it.

Latest resources

Back