Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How long until pilots replaced with UAVs??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=83140

Similar thread from a few weeks ago. You may find the original post of interest since it says FedEx is already testing the technology for the military, or something like that. Apparently the military isn't even considering using remote pilot stations, if I was reading this thread correctly.

Man I hope Microsoft develops the operating system for the PAX version of the UAV:smash:

Billy Madison said:
I figure it will happen in the cargo industry before the passenger airlines. Considering aviation is only a slightly over 100 years old and looking at how much its changed, I don't think its too far fetched to think it could happen in my lifetime.
It's been technically feasible for decades, but as a practical matter, I doubt anybody reading this board will ever see it. I do believe that by the end of this century, large aircraft will be manned by a single pilot, who basically oversees (and on very rare occasions, overrides) the functioning of a super-sophisticated FMS/Autoflight system.

Whistlin' Dan said:
It's been technically feasible for decades, but as a practical matter, I doubt anybody reading this board will ever see it. I do believe that by the end of this century, large aircraft will be manned by a single pilot, who basically oversees (and on very rare occasions, overrides) the functioning of a super-sophisticated FMS/Autoflight system.

This conjures up a vision of a Homer Simpson-like character in a deep sleep with his feet propped up on the console

There are no ships at sea without captains (although the crews are getting pretty small these days). Is this because Ocean Navigation on the surface is all "VFR"? (speed no higher than that where visibility is half the stopping or turning distance from that speed, I heard somewhere?) Or particlarly strong unions? Or common sense in legislation?

It's amazing that people are all right with tens or hundreds of tons of aluminum cruising about over their heads. For it to stay that way, one would think that they would still want someone on board that has a immediate personal interest in it not crashing. My personal feeling is that all UAV's should be operated only in unihabited restricted areas or war zones. The reply to this would probably be to create restricted areas everywhere.

As far as the National Airspace System, the manufacturers and users are certainly relying on the good press that war-zone UAV's garner to try to eventually ease them into our jobs.

Imagine a UAV controller being told he is responsible for collision avoidence with all traffic, including VFR aircraft. Then the eventual budget cuts cause furloughs of operators so that one guy is watching 20 "collision avoidence tv-vision screens" in one room, with probably music, pizza, a book, and an internet connection, too.

Perhaps they will have to wear helmets with a cocked .45 mounted to it so that they have equal chances if their UAV hits an occupied aircraft(which is only fair). It would certainly increase attentiveness.

If the "operators" or "controllers" are to be truly responsible for traffic separation, they will then clamor for Positive Control Class A airspace all the way to the surface. This technology is trending toward the end of VFR flying.

It would be best to vehemently oppose all UAV's any where outside of war zones or to-and-from war zones, & warfighter UAV's only. No cargo, refueling etc. Its a case of the camel getting its nose under the tent.

MalteseX said:
It may happen, but it's not that likely anytime soon. I mean we don't have unmanned trains or unmanned ships yet. Seems like both would be easier to build and less likely to crash.

It will never happen in the passenger airlines. No passenger will be willing to fly with no pilot.
You are right, we don't have unmanned ships....but the level of automation is for some reason not there with ships.

As far as the trains go....I can think of a few airports with trains that run without humans as well as the train mentioned before in Japan.

Billy

Yeah Right!!!!

We'll run out of oil before R2 D2 replaces Buck Rogers.:beer:

727gm said:
It's amazing that people are all right with tens or hundreds of tons of aluminum cruising about over their heads. For it to stay that way, one would think that they would still want someone on board that has a immediate personal interest in it not crashing. My personal feeling is that all UAV's should be operated only in unihabited restricted areas or war zones. The reply to this would probably be to create restricted areas everywhere.

It would be best to vehemently oppose all UAV's any where outside of war zones or to-and-from war zones, & warfighter UAV's only. No cargo, refueling etc. Its a case of the camel getting its nose under the tent.

I agree 100%

Billy Madison said:
I figure it will happen in the cargo industry before the passenger airlines. Considering aviation is only a slightly over 100 years old and looking at how much its changed, I don't think its too far fetched to think it could happen in my lifetime. Thoughts?

Billy

Trans Pacific Cargo: 5-10 years
Trans Atlantic: 2-4 years later
Over land ops after 5 years of successful ops

Pax will take longer.

I could argue alot of the above posts, but don't have the time and
inclination right now.

CE

Latest resources

Back