How long for a SWA interview call?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Totals and Types -- see left.

Online app 1/04, K&S Type 4/04, 1100 hours and counting in the -800, USAF Stan Eval (Checkairman), 1200PIC Turbine.

Told by MDW Chief LF my problem is not enough PIC. Been an FO building useless SIC for 12 years now. No upgrade in sight...

Unit
Career Gear Operator

AMRCostUnit said:
Totals and Types -- see left.

Online app 1/04, K&S Type 4/04, 1100 hours and counting in the -800, USAF Stan Eval (Checkairman), 1200PIC Turbine.

Told by MDW Chief LF my problem is not enough PIC. Been an FO building useless SIC for 12 years now. No upgrade in sight...

Unit
Career Gear Operator

Wow-I am impressed and yet disappointed that you haven't been brought on board.
I have always believed, as have many of the senior giys/gals who made this company what it is today, that the turbine PIC requirement needs to die a quick and ugly death. Very akin to the Navy (I heard Ken Koppy is still around) relaxing the 20/20 uncorrected eye standards for pilots in 1990 to 20/30. Post change, the pool of qualified applicants doubled. As much as we love the 1600 hour F-16 and F-18 (yarch) guys and gals, folks with your experience are AS qualified. Now it comes to the HR interview alone.
Problem is, the non-flying management team won't release its grip on the standard. To do so now would somehow publically indicate that WN is lowering the qualification bar.

If you lower the PIC time, or do away with it, then this board will be filled with no PIC guys who feel a sense of entitlement and can't figure out why they aren't getting the call.

I think they SHOULD waive it for military guys but no one else.

Why waive the PIC time for the Military folks? Is being in charge of a single seat, single engine jet more important than flying a 50-250 passenger jet all over the US/world?

No, but military guys don't fly as much as we civilian guys do. Besides, I bet you that military training is 10 times harder and more intense than Regional Airline initial training.

Captain Overs said:
No, but military guys don't fly as much as we civilian guys do. Besides, I bet you that military training is 10 times harder and more intense than Regional Airline initial training.

So, are you saying that because us former military guys flew less, we should get cut a break for altruistic reasons? I'd hope the military training is harder as most military guys/gals have ZERO flight experience after graduating from OCS or (god forbid) air force ocs versus most of today's regional new hires with 1000+ hours, much of it turbine time from other regionals.
The WN sim instructors I talk to generally tell me they rarely have to worry about a regional pilot having trouble in training versus the single seat military guy who often needs to be "civilianized."

SWA doesn't seem to get caught up in this pi$sing contest; they hire equal parts from each group. Every ratio I've personally seen or experienced reflects this. This debate really is a comparison of apples and oranges. SWA likes equal parts of both (fruits); and likely for a reason.

Group hug? mmmkay, then.... all better.

Latest resources

Back