Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
jwes said:
I've got the time 6500tt, 2600 PIC 121, B-737 typed since Feb 2005
plus a check airman....Met Ryan several times and he says it all looks good, just keep updating. Its the lottery, then you have to pass the interview.
( a two tier lottery)

anyone know how a two tier lottery works (or what it is?)?

Perhaps I missed the sarcasim, but the 1000 hour insurance requirement question leads me to believe not.
2 tier lottery = (1) it's hard just to get the interview (the first lottery)
(2) it's hard to get the job (30% selection rate) (the second lottery)

as for the 1000 hours - I'm positive it has nothing to do with insurance. More of a guideline, that by the time you have 1000 hours in turbine airplanes you probably have had some pretty good experience in aviation.

Sorry if you were being sarcastic, if not,....well.....

no sarcasm, I guess just some aviation lore I heard at some point.

JumpJetter said:
Perhaps I missed the sarcasim, but the 1000 hour insurance requirement question leads me to believe not.
2 tier lottery = (1) it's hard just to get the interview (the first lottery)
(2) it's hard to get the job (30% selection rate) (the second lottery)

as for the 1000 hours - I'm positive it has nothing to do with insurance. More of a guideline, that by the time you have 1000 hours in turbine airplanes you probably have had some pretty good experience in aviation.

Sorry if you were being sarcastic, if not,....well.....

Yes it was sarcasim, you hit the nail on the head. Its tough out there.
keep on plugging.

Staying on target...

JumpJetter said:
I agree...stayontarget..

3700TT
1800 PIC T
Mil fighters -> regional T-props -> Major ->furloughed ->Pt 135 Charter
(some how my wife is still with me!)
App and Type in Oct 2004 (didn't have the PIC time yet)

PD told me it's a matter of "throughput". Just can only interview only so many at a time.

Then of course there is the selection rate.....:(

JJ

Type in May '05
App on-line on Jun 11, 05
Called to interview Aug 15, 05
Interviewed Sep 21, 05
Call to continue on Oct 17, 05
Indapool on Nov 14, 05

Nov 24, 05--A truly blessed and stress-free Thanksgiving with so much to be thankful for.:beer:

For those waiting...keep the faith and think positive. Oh, and network your arse off!:D

networking?

OK, I have about 4 pilots on my side (RECs in the wings) over at SWA and when you say networking they can't do anything for you until your called for the interview.

I've gone to two Air Inc. conferences handing my updated resume over and keeping the conversation light and pleasant. I also went to a Higher Power get together in NJ not to long ago. So my question is how much more networking is there. Are you guys/girls calling the PD, or emailing everyone and the chief pilot telling them how much you would like to fly for SWA; Because I will start to do that if it helps. My thought was don't over do it ( I think its a little scary to go overboard)

Small rant, I'm better now. Any ideas?

I waited 2 years 6 months after applying (with a type rating!) before I got the call. It was a long wait, but well worth it.

That's almost exactly what I waited. Two and a half years. Worth the wait? The jury's out on that. Sooner is always better.

As for networking, from what I've been told there's nothing you can do until called also. If there's a way, I missed it and maybe that's why it took so long.

The only thing I can tell you is to update often. I heard this from several people.

I am curious as to what actually "triggers" the call. Does your name just pop out of the computer during a random selection of all qualified candidates? Do the PD folks have a list of folks they are focusing on and they decide to make the call when certain times are hit?

Just curious because Ryan told me in August that I'd be getting a call in 2-3 months. I have been told by a few people that they don't make time frame pronouncements unless they mean it. But then others here indicate they have been (for lack of a better term) strung along for a few years believing the call is right around the corner.

I am finding out that being told by my target companies that my stuff looks real good and I should be getting a call "soon" is more frustrating than being told that my stuff isn't competative yet.

Reminds me of a horror story from a co-worker about a company he has been trying to get on with for a few years (not SWA). He has met them at AirInc several times. Met the chief pilot a few timesand has half a dozen walk-ins. The recruiters and chief pilot have been telling him for over two year that they are going to get him in for an interview and still no call. The last AirInc conference he went to, the recruiter saw him and actually asked him "why aren't you working for us yet?!" How about calling him in for that interview you've promised him for two years. Still, no call.

Sorry for the rant. The waiting is the hardest part.

Madphotographic, what number did you use to get in touch with the PD? Last time I called all I got was an automated answermachine...

Latest resources

Back