How long does ground school take?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

droptank

Just curious if anybody can provide me some information about the length of ground school for a regional airline (Skywest, Comair, Mesa, etc.). Just wanting to know how many months it takes to go from start to finish before you get online.

Thanks for your help.

Droptank

At SkyWest, if you were to start groundschool as a Brasilia newhire on Jan 8th, you would graduate from groundschool Jan 30th. You would be trained in a Flight Training Device 1-3 Feb and in the sim 5-9 Feb. The aircraft checkride would be 10 or 11 Feb and you would begin IOE around 15 Feb. By the 25th of Feb, you would be done.

If brought in as a newhire in the CRJ, you would complete basic indoc on 17 Jan, begin jet systems classes on 20 Jan and complete groundschool 7 Feb. You would have more FTD and sim time than the Brasilia folks so would probably finish IOE around the 3rd-7th of March.

Bottom line is that for most folks, the training process including IOE is about 2 months from start to finish.

The standard CRJ training cycle at ACA is about 75 days - can be shorter or longer depending on scheduling, but rarely shorter. Our program seems to be a little longer than most. During training you make a pathetic $200/week but upon completion of IOE or 75 days, whichever comes first, you starting receiving regular first officer pay.

At Air Wisconsin they breifed to us that from indoc through check ride is 65-70 days. You're paid the hourly rate of the aircraft you are awarded at 2.5 hours a day for 7 days a week. I start class on the 11th so if any of this info is incorrect maybe someone who's been through the process can post more a more accurate experience.

Work at a beer store.....fly a jet.....work at a beer store....fly a jet...

I guess we all have career choices to make.

My first year at Comair and I make 21.75 an hour. This comes out to be about 1500-1600 after taxes right now.

Next year on the 70 seater I'll make 39.46 an hour. That's one heck of a raise! I'll be able to get off food stamps:)
Second year for the 50 seater is 35.75 an hour.

Re: SkyWest training holiday schedule

jmac77 said:

the timing for the holidays could not be more inconvenient

Mr. jmac

Best wishes on fitting your new job into your already busy life, by the way, what's a HOLIDAY? I can't find it in the FAR/AIM, and it sure as hell didn't come up in indoc/systems.

pileit

Holidays

Holidays are what everyone else that uses the English langauge call vacation. The US is one off the very few countries that use the term vaction. You will never here the term "Happy Holidays" out side America. The only reason that term is used here is because people don't want to offend people of other religions. In Germany or England the term people use is "Merry Christmas", but over here that may upset someone who dosen't celebrate Christmas, hence the use of "Happy Holidays".

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back