How long befoe a pilot is stale?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

lineflyer1

So how long can one not fly and still find a job?

I am approaching 11 months out of work. My last flight was 11/25/07 and My last PC was 10/05/07 and
I'm starting to feel like very stale bread and once squeezed no one will want me!

Befoe?

Thats a sure sign of staleness my friend!

Hang in there....

You are going to want to regain your currency. I would say every 6 months at least.

You are going to want to regain your currency. I would say every 6 months at least.

My last aircraft was the B737, then the EMB 145, then the ATR.

I have been thinking about getting a PC in the 737 but it will cost 3500-5000 every 6 months

I be from da hood, want you want man! LOL.

My typing sucks, I need to proof read befoe I hit the send button..

I'm glad you realized that I'm only playfully giving ya Sh!t.... (this laptop underlines everything that i type incorrectly in red, otherwise i'd be typing things wrong left and right!)

You know the friggin airlines lay us off but then want currency as part of their hiring policies........ you can't have it both ways....... They should cut us furloughed guys some slack just for putting up with this silly game!

I have been thinking about getting a PC in the 737 but it will cost 3500-5000 every 6 months

The question I'd be asking myself is whether or not I thought spending that kind of money on a 737 pc(s) is going to actually help get a job. Would prospective employers consider a simulator only pc as "recent experience?" Alot I have seen want actual flight time. How many employers does having a current pc in the 737 (sim only) make you attractive to?

Have you looked into any flying job, including CFI? If flying is really the only thing you want to do I guess one option is to take whatever there was to stay current (actual flight time) and save the cash to provide for yourself/family in these "lean" times.

The question I'd be asking myself is whether or not I thought spending that kind of money on a 737 pc(s) is going to actually help get a job. Would prospective employers consider a simulator only pc as "recent experience?" Alot I have seen want actual flight time. How many employers does having a current pc in the 737 (sim only) make you attractive to?

Have you looked into any flying job, including CFI? If flying is really the only thing you want to do I guess one option is to take whatever there was to stay current (actual flight time) and save the cash to provide for yourself/family in these "lean" times.

The probelm seems to be this. The CFI's in SLC are already hurting for customers. The charter guys have all said things are really slow for them as well.

There's not much corporate here in Salt Lake either.

So many pilots come from pilot mills and go straight to the airlines anymore without ever having to do any 135 or part 91 flying. When we get furloughed we don't have any experience in 135/corporate aircraft and they say we're not qualified. Gotta luv this career.

Why not start knocking on doors of businesses selling them on the idea of splitting an airplane that you manage and fly? Get them together and split up a Navajo or 414 or something and go from there. SLC might be the kind of town that respects a local guy bootstrapping himself and you might find support for something like this among businesses that can't swing the NetJet thing anymore.

So how long can one not fly and still find a job?

I am approaching 11 months out of work. My last flight was 11/25/07 and My last PC was 10/05/07 and
I'm starting to feel like very stale bread and once squeezed no one will want me!

HUH??? Why did you quit CAL?? That's why I haven't seen yon the commute! What happened?

Latest resources

Back