How long befoe a pilot is stale?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Practice

Having gone sometimes months between flying jobs. I got my PC sim cranked and logged three hours a week shooting apporaches, if I got to good, I made the approaches more difficult. Never had a problem with any sim evaluation. Since I don't fly the Falcon anymore, I flying an Elite MD-80 PC sim. It is a good training tool.

Last edited:
Lots of former USAIR pilot at Emirates and Cathay. There is a tremdous need for qualified applicants abroad. Many direct entry Capt. positions in the Middle East, China and India. It will be 5 years til things turn around here.

M

Lots of former USAIR pilot at Emirates and Cathay. There is a tremdous need for qualified applicants abroad. Many direct entry Capt. positions in the Middle East, China and India. It will be 5 years til things turn around here.

M

I hear all 3 regions are beginning to dry up. FlyDubai has cancelled interviews. Kingfisher is canceling all int'l flights. And China is taking a wait-and-see attitude. Since Boeing isn't delivering aircraft right now, I think it's easier for airlines to put hiring on hold.

Don't get too discouraged. A friend of mine is a retired Delta 777 guy. He's been out of flying for 3 years and just took a short term contract job in India. 11 months isn't as bad as 3 years. Good luck

Why not start knocking on doors of businesses selling them on the idea of splitting an airplane that you manage and fly? Get them together and split up a Navajo or 414 or something and go from there. SLC might be the kind of town that respects a local guy bootstrapping himself and you might find support for something like this among businesses that can't swing the NetJet thing anymore.

That is a very interesting idea, but it would take quite the salesman to pull off.

The probelm seems to be this. The CFI's in SLC are already hurting for customers. The charter guys have all said things are really slow for them as well.

There's not much corporate here in Salt Lake either.

So many pilots come from pilot mills and go straight to the airlines anymore without ever having to do any 135 or part 91 flying. When we get furloughed we don't have any experience in 135/corporate aircraft and they say we're not qualified. Gotta luv this career.

That's exactly the attitude and responses I got when UAL furloughed me 7 years ago this month. I spent about 3 or 4 weeks pounding the streets looking for "anything".... but the reality is that you don't find most jobs - they find you.

Here's the deal - if your not INSIDE you're OUTSIDE.

I didn't get a "job" as a CFI, I found someone willing to let me hang out with their instructors and drink their coffee and eat their doughnuts. I helped out the CFI's by taking a student when someone had a dentist appointment, or whatever. I was the go-to guy who had no "real" students.

But not only did that keep me busy and at the airport, it kept me in a position to be lucky. The same can be said about today as was said in the days after 9/11. It took about 6 weeks of "instructing" until I "got lucky" and saw a buddy flying a Lear for a 135 shop on the field. I interviewed against 2 other UAL furloughees - but they were just collecting unemployment... so was I , but I was humble enough to be in the right seat of a C172.

There are ALWAYS jobs, but as an "outsider" you'll never hear about the 91 or 135 jobs unless you're at the airport and in a position to knock on doors with fresh resumes and CURRENCY.

-fate

That is a very interesting idea, but it would take quite the salesman to pull off.

And someone with a deep understanding of the tax implications and financial and legal liabilities of shared ownership -- one could easily end up screwing their 'clients' if they don't have a handle on these issues.

A good friend of mine got a job as a construction contractor when he couldn't get an interview. Eighteen months after his last flight, Delta called and he was interviewed that week, in class the next. You never know.

Latest resources

Back