How is it living in Memphis

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
A Yankee probably hates the south...

Most of Memphis is NOT part of the south. There are some decent places to live, but most of Memphis requires a guard in every parking lot, or your car will not be there when you get out of the grocery store. That is not a joke. Every parking lot has a guard in a car who drives around continually. We don't need that back in Colorado.

Pilot lives in memphis has it in his will not to be burried anywhere near it because he hates it so much and doesn't want to spend anymore time there. I still laugh at that one.

Most of Memphis is NOT part of the south. There are some decent places to live, but most of Memphis requires a guard in every parking lot, or your car will not be there when you get out of the grocery store. That is not a joke. Every parking lot has a guard in a car who drives around continually. We don't need that back in Colorado.

THAT is exactly the strangest thing I have ever seen. A guard in the Target parking lot, a guard touring the small (4 stores) strip mall just north of my apt. complex near the Pan Am T.F. And that is 200 yards from the Germantown City Limits.

I just shake my head. Maybe it is better farther out. But this ain't no place for me and my family.

Memories

This thread brings back a lot of memories. I lived in Memphis for about 2 years around 2000 and in that time I SAW three dead bodies (they have been murdered) and my roomates car was broken into 3 times. I couldnt get out of there fast enough.

Memphis would be a great place to live if it wern't for the people who already live there. Stay far far away from this place.

I've been in Collierville for just over 4 years after commuting from the east coast for a couple of years. My quality of life is far better living here. If I were single, maybe a different story, but my biggest problem living here is going to be teaching my kids that most people have to go to work to make money. I'm home all of the time. If I want to I bid out and backs....see my wife and kids eveyday, or I roll the dice and bid reserve...you never know how that is going to work, but that's part of the deal. Living downtown or close to the airport is a different world than living out in the burbs. When I commuted, I hated Memphis. Who want's to sit in a crashpad with a bunch of guys driving a POS airport car still living like you're a broke student when you pull in 6 figures? Moving here was the best move I've made. If you don't like it, that's the nice thing about the job...you don't have to.

im a longtime fedex guy and tell all the newbies - dont live there - too many guys say theyll just be there for a little while and 20 years go by - most get sucked in to making extra bucks and start saying - oh its not so bad. remember pilots commute to be away from memphis not to live in memphis

only reason i would consider leaving fedex is to never have to commute to or live in memphis... i said id never commute to an airline job...period!!! and when i checked out MEM as a new hire.... well im commuting and will never live in MEM, just a huge quality of life downgrade from what im use to... just my 2 cents

Latest resources

Back