• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How is FAR 117 transition going

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Then you obviously didn't read what I wrote above....

No, gut shot-
That may make it easier for you since you've sort of taken 117 on as your crusade.
But I read it.
Overly simplistic and clear that you don't understand 117

What I am seeing from 117 so far is the ability of a company to keep you on the road for many more days, and pay you many less dollars to do it.

I do like the ten hours off though, that has paid off twice in three days. No more hang the sticky shirt up to put it back on 6 hours later, after having my legal "8hrs" away from the jet, let alone airport. You young whippersnappers who don't like the ten hour rule, sorry.

I dont know about you scoreboard- but I've been banking this week$$

Probably has more to do with the contract though

Better 10 than 8. I've never been one of these "productivity" guys when it comes to layovers. What good are you to your family if you come home exhausted and out-of-shape;). Have a meal, 9hrs of sleep, a good workout, breakfast. That's about 13-14 hrs. The idea of anything less than that gives me the CBGB's.

Yup. Agree completely. If I wanted to be worked like a rented mule, I'd go to a regional.

I dont know about you scoreboard- but I've been banking this week$$

Probably has more to do with the contract though
Ditto, I made in six days what it would take 12. However, that's unusual ops and only because the company threw in the towel and started assigning everything PP or JA. Fast forward to a few months into the summer, and the schedulers will have plenty of time to let the sodimzer equalize everyone online, and you will find you'll be rerouted to an optimized paring making zero extra bucks because, well, you've been sodomized.

Ok, 117 doesn't change our contract-
What about 117 makes you think the company can extend us without pay?

Wave, what used to require them getting your OK, is now not required and in fact hidden inside the mass of paperwork you get to push. "Here, sign this". Under current 117, if you take longer to fly the same, you get paid the same, but you just ate up FDP for less pay per FDP hr/minute, ate up potential FDP at a later time, and may prevent yourself from being legal at a later date to pick up more trips for more pay.

The perfect storm for pilots will be the normal summer Tstorms, causing diverts, causing reroutes, on a very minor scale and easily handled by the few in scheduling, you will be extended, you will be sodomized, and at the end of the day most likely have flown the same time, taken longer FDP, and made the same money. But, you lost a future opportunity because you have less FDP to use. Example, sit in LAS for three hours waiting out Tstorms in DEN. No reroute, no divert, no more pay, but you used 3FDP hours for free. Unless of course you hit rigs.

Last edited:
But, you lost a future opportunity because you have less FDP to use.

Or, you could potentially be paid for sleeping in at home because you ran out of FDP. At worst it's a wash. I think it's better than a wash...If the new rules allow me to sit at home 1 extra day with pay and lose 5 days of "OPPORTUNITY" to go and work extra...I would call that a very big win.

That's just me though, which is probably one of the many reasons I could never get hired at SWA.

Last edited:
Wave, what used to require them getting your OK, is now not required and in fact hidden inside the mass of paperwork you get to push. "Here, sign this". Under current 117, if you take longer to fly the same, you get paid the same, but you just ate up FDP for less pay per FDP hr/minute, ate up potential FDP at a later time, and may prevent yourself from being legal at a later date to pick up more trips for more pay.

The perfect storm for pilots will be the normal summer Tstorms, causing diverts, causing reroutes, on a very minor scale and easily handled by the few in scheduling, you will be extended, you will be sodomized, and at the end of the day most likely have flown the same time, taken longer FDP, and made the same money. But, you lost a future opportunity because you have less FDP to use. Example, sit in LAS for three hours waiting out Tstorms in DEN. No reroute, no divert, no more pay, but you used 3FDP hours for free. Unless of course you hit rigs.

What you have stated is not true for any group that has CX pay in their contract. FDP extensions only apply to operational delays. So if you extend more then 30 minutes on day one of a trip. You can not be extended more then 30 minutes again until you have a 30 hour break. So if operationally you need to be extend again without the 30 hour break. You are done and going home/hotel. These extensions have nothing to do with the scheduling/ pick up FDP. So you were either legal to pick it up or not.

Latest resources

Back