Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How important is having a CFI certificate?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flygirl556

I've been getting my resume and flight times up to date for the rumored upcoming hiring at the legacy airlines. I just realized today that I haven't done any online CFI renewal lately and I just realized I let my CFI lapse. How many points do I stand to lose in the application process to get an interview? I currently have 6000+TT, 1000 TPIC and a 4-year degree. Should I get my CFI reinstated to check another box on an application or is it not heavily weighted in the application process? Thanks in advance for the advice.

This is a joke, right?

You had a CFI. It expired. But you still had the certificate. If the app asks for an expiration date (as most do) then add that.

Last edited:
exactly.
It was my understanding that you still have a cfi license, you just cant use it until you get it renewed.

Thanks for that. I guess when I list it with the issuance date they'll know I had it at one point in time but it's just not current.

Don't forget to add "Gold Seal."

I keed, I keed.:D

It doesn't matter once you've got your ATP. Telling Zippy to add right rudder on takeoff in a 172 doesn't do squat.

I couldn't let my CFI lapse fast enough. 3 type ratings, an instructor pilot position and a check airman letter later, I don't think I've missed it one bit.

So let me get this right, on airline apps it asks if you have a cfi rating and the date of issue. It says nothing about the expiration date. You guys are saying if your cfi has lapsed, you would still put it becuase technically you have the certificate still? Is there anything unethical about that?

I'm kinda with iflyboxes on this one. I forgot the wording but isn't there some blurb about a CFI only being an actual 'valid certificate' if it remains current/active or something like that?

I never put it down after my CFI turned into a pumpkin. It was something I "once did" to get to where I am today. Kinda like delivering pizza back in my kolledge days. Sure, it helped the path but isn't really relevant anymore.

So let me get this right, on airline apps it asks if you have a cfi rating and the date of issue. It says nothing about the expiration date. You guys are saying if your cfi has lapsed, you would still put it becuase technically you have the certificate still? Is there anything unethical about that?

Great question which is why I figured I'd ask here.

Latest resources

Back