• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How important are watches when flying?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Re: Re: How important are watches when flying?

TonyC said:
1.) I don't wear sunglasses... still 20/10

2.) A headset is useful in noisy cockpits - - good advice.

3.) The only function required on a watch is accurate time.

I went all out and sprang for the $18 model at K-Mart. It also has the date on it, which is nice but not necessary. With a Bachelor of Science degree, I'd like to think I can add 6 to Central time to come up with UTC. If your CFI can't do that, then maybe he needs to pay for a wrist contraption that will do that for him.

If I were you, I'd be more interested in finding a better CFI - - one that's concerned more about actually flying than about "looking the part."

TonyC has a good point. I think that either your CFI is telling you to get all this crap and his laughing his a$$ off behind your back or you're just WAY to enthusiastic.

Enjoying aviation is a good thing, but find another hobby to enjoy as well.

I buy the cheapo digital Armitron at Walmart. It has the four things I need in order of importance:

1: Does not set off security
2: Time
3: Alarm
4: Stopwatch

I wear $10 sunglasses bought from that dumpy little stand in the C concourse in ATL. I wear UV coated contacts so I am not worried about burning my eyes out.

I wear the headset from the company, because for some reason mine doesn't work in the A/C I fly.

I don't have a watch, so I just look at my cell phone for the time.

Gosh, I hope you don't have that cell phone on IN FLIGHT... And it must look really weird strapped to your wrist. Kinda like old Star Trek episodes, possibly? :)

Anyway... As for what you NEED... I agree with your CFI, actually.

1- Sunglasses, to me, are a necessity. At least when it's sunny! Cuts down on glare and eye fatigue. It has nothing to do with "protecting your eyesight" (whoever heard of someone going from 20/20 to 20/50 because of sunlight??), it's about seeing better in bright light and reducing eye STRAIN.

2- Watch... Absolutely. I know you're only a student, but the clocks in most trainers are either inaccurate or are only right twice a day (think about it!). The nine dollar Armitron, the 35 dollar Timex Expedition, and the $2800 Breitling B-1 all do the same thing, which is tell accurate time, show the date, have a stopwatch, and show a second time zone. The Citizen Navihawk series seems to be an epidemic, with probably 1 out of 6 pilots I see having one. It runs somewhere over $200, but it won't do anything that the Timex Expedition will do... And the Timex has a backlight. I am partial to analog hands and digital secondary displays, so the G-Shock is out. But... That's just me.

3- Headset. My GOD, if you don't have a headset you're a looney. Good ones protect better, and if you really have money to burn, ANC headsets are better still. I keep coming back to the David Clarks, though, which I've used for the overwhelming majority of my hours (the Litespeed headband keeps breaking!). I won't say "spare no expense" on the headset, but a $300 DC actually IS three times as good as the $100 Flightcom. Trust me on this.

All of the above is just my experience and blatant bias. :)

I.P. Freley said:
Gosh, I hope you don't have that cell phone on IN FLIGHT... And it must look really weird strapped to your wrist. Kinda like old Star Trek episodes, possibly? :)

No, I have Sprint, and it doesn't work that well on the ground. Although, I did receive a call while at 11,000 feet once, but when I hit answer, it got dropped immediately. Thanks Sprint!!!!!!!!

As far as the Star Trek thing, "Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life on these boards." ;)

I wear a Timex Ironman. Its waterproof, light, easy to read, and has a velcro wrist band. I cant stand analog watches with metal wrist bands. I'm cheap and i need a watch I can wear all the time and for outdoors activities such as mountain biking. When the battery runs out, i just go get a new one for 30 bucks, easier than replacing the battery/wrist band on the old one. I also dont see what the issue is with Timex, they are all I buy because i know I can beat them to hell and theyll still work. I could never see the point of spending 300 bucks on a watch, i'd be to afraid of damagaing it to ever wear it.

Sunglasses-cheapo ones do the job. I also wear contacts with UV protection designed into them so I dont have to worry about damage from the sun. Lately I've found its easier to see without them since I fly in the mornings before its really light out.

Headset-couldnt see the point in dropping a ton of money on one, tired a few on and went with a Flightcom Denali. Lightweight, and comfortable for long flights, and didnt totaly suck the $$ out of my pockets.

I'm trying to keep expenses down as far as flight training goes, the only major thing I have gotten is the syllabus, flight maneuvers book, fuel strainer, and knee board. I'm keeping it simple and getting stuff as I go along. Next major thing will be a POH for the Archer 2.

Oh what the hell I may as well put my thoughts in here.

I was given a limited edition Aviastar by Breitling in 1998 as a gift for flying several years in Europe and south America for Breitling.

It is worth a hell of a lot more money than I would ever think of paying for a watch and I seldom wear it.

I wear a Casio with analog and digital time displays, but most important it has a calculator on it which I really need for fuel planning etc...cause I'm math challenged. :D

Oh it cost me $26.00 Canadian.

Watches

Although I love watches and own several, it all boils down to a few things for a pilot: readability, reliability, accuracy and utility.

Sure, it makes me feel good when I wear one of my Chase-Durer pilot chronographs. But most chronographs are hard to operate while flying. You certainly are not going to use a chronograph on an approach to time from the FAF to the MAP. You also don't need a big pilot watch to prove your pilot man (woman) hood, though you shouldn't be dissuaded from getting one if you are inclined.

This may surprise some people, but I would not recommend a battery-powered watch for flying. You never know when the battery or the works which the battery powers may crap out, even in some of the better quartz watches. I would go mechanical. The accuracy of even less-expensive mechanical watches is sufficient for most purposes and you don't have to worry about battery failure. The only thing you really have to remember is to wear the watch if it is an automatic or wind it every morning if it is a manual wind.

I love watches. I'm no expert, but I have loved watches since I was a child and believe I have some knowledge. I'd be delighted to entertain any questions people might have.

FN FAL said:
I'll bet when you are getting paid block to block time, you'll be changing your tune! The only way you'll get to take home more than a grand a month at the regionals will be if that hobbs meter is MOVING!:D

I mean as an aircraft renter, not while I'm giving instruction!!!

OMG!!!! Somebody admits that they wear a watch with a calculator on it!!!

I believe that is called birth control isn't it???

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back