• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How important are watches when flying?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I've had a Timex for years, only recently have I had to replace the band.

IMO all you need is a dual time zone watch, countdown, alarms, and a stop watch feature are useful too.

But if you plan to be a pro-pilot you need to get the biggest most expensive watch out there, because they don't judge pilots, by what the fly, how many hours they have, or how well they fly, they judge pilots by how big their watch is.

Your CFI is full of sh!t, I completed my Private without even owning a headset and I think I did have a cheap pair of K-mart sunglasses, as far as the watch, jees this part really takes the cake, your CFI must be a fruit dude, you don't even need a watch for the private ticket, the airplane has a clock, but if you want a watch get one that tells the time, that's all you need for cross country flights that you will be checking your checkpoints with.

Get another CFI, the one you have sounds worthless when it comes to being a pilot.

My first CFI didn't give a sh!t about headsets, watches, glasses, he said here's our goal, to get you soloed in ten hours.
That's what we did, and he taught me to fly.

I bet this guy's instructor is the kinda guy that has an E6-B on his watch

there was a big thread a while back about watches and what to get. concentrated around nice watches.

what the others said, what works is all you need. tells time. at most you need 2 different clocks in the face. i too have set the digital part to zulu and the hands to local. worked great that way. no math!.......some pilots i know set that digital time to 8 or 12 hours ahead so they know when they have to stop drinking cause they get too drunk to do tha math.

stopwatch/chrono is nice...althout ive looked at the clock on the dash instead of my watch when doing holds. so its really not useful till im outside the plane.

a lighted face is nice too. can read it in the dark. i got a nice chrono Tissot and honestly i wish i had my timex indiglo (15% of the cost) at night when i flew.....i could read it then without turning on any of the cabin lights.

things on a watch i never saw as useful include:

an E6B flight computer bezel (citizen+others)......yeah chicks dig that, not!
an altitude/barometer (citizen+others)......you got one in your plane
an ELT built in (breitling)........again, you got one in your plane!
24 different time zones.......are you goint to all 24 that often?

go get a timex indiglo camping watch. durable. black and subtle. not glaring. takes bashes from snowboarding and keeps going. lasts a long long time. its everything you could want.....but if wou want chicks that dig watches...that one aint for you....

Last edited:
Squale,

I am sure I was a big help in the car compass thread so I will chime in here so you can get that watch right away.

I have searched the internet far and wide and have found the perfect solution which provides superior time keeping, precise position fixing, and laser straight direction finding.

Wear this watch on your right wrist and you will always know where you are.

Wear this watch on your left wrist so you will know which diection you are travelling.

With two watches you will also be able to track the time on the major stock exchanges simultaneously. Which is a big plus.

Glad we could help.

;)

Last edited:
actually my CFI is great...

and nice icon there fruitcake, too bad that's the closest you will ever get to a babe like that...
get a life buddy!

Baptism of Fire (and a pat on the head)

That's ok Squale. They're busting your chops but you're taking it like a man.

You're gaining big points by acknowledging the cuts but you're not responding in kind.

For the record a pilot should always carry a watch, a pen and a calculator.

I don't really care for multi-function gadgets just something to help me get my job done.

Sunglasses give me headaches and headsets are a neccessity.

Keep your chin up. Fly safe.

<sigh>

I spoke too soon.

Oh well. I've been guilty of it too.

Monday mornings suck.

Squale,

We are just bustin' yer chops. It is all in good fun.

Save your money. Wear a Timex, a cheap calculator from WalMart, and if you need a good deal on a barely used GPSMAP 195 that has been in my closet for five years drop me a PM.

Welcome to the club.

BTW,

squale said:

and nice icon there fruitcake, too bad that's the closest you will ever get to a babe like that...
get a life buddy!

Which one do you think is a "babe", Barry, Robin, or Maurice???

;)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back