Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Re: Watches

bobbysamd said:
Although I love watches and own several, it all boils down to a few things for a pilot: readability, reliability, accuracy and utility.

Sure, it makes me feel good when I wear one of my Chase-Durer pilot chronographs. But most chronographs are hard to operate while flying. You certainly are not going to use a chronograph on an approach to time from the FAF to the MAP. You also don't need a big pilot watch to prove your pilot man (woman) hood, though you shouldn't be dissuaded from getting one if you are inclined.

This may surprise some people, but I would not recommend a battery-powered watch for flying. You never know when the battery or the works which the battery powers may crap out, even in some of the better quartz watches. I would go mechanical. The accuracy of even less-expensive mechanical watches is sufficient for most purposes and you don't have to worry about battery failure. The only thing you really have to remember is to wear the watch if it is an automatic or wind it every morning if it is a manual wind.

I love watches. I'm no expert, but I have loved watches since I was a child and believe I have some knowledge. I'd be delighted to entertain any questions people might have.

Well you could always get the Casio G-Shock Solar powered watch with atomic time... I don't think you could go wrong there... oh course I don't know how many other companies are out there which make solar powered watches...

You need a Breitling, if you expect anyone to take you seriously.

What don't you take seriously Bart?

My using a calculator to figure fuel conversions and burns?

Cat.

Hell just froze over.

Far be it from me to ever jump to Bart's defense, but...

I believe the Breitling remark was directed to Squale, the original poster.

You see, there still hasn't been quite enough teasing and Bart was simply trying to fulfill his civic duty.

You need a Breitling, if you expect anyone to take you seriously.
In the junkyard navy they had a saying, "the bigger the watch, the smaller the d!ck".

How goes the battle Mar?

Yeh, I sometimes don't understand the rules in these sandboxes. :D

Cat

The battle rages on, my friend.

And yet, there's nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile.

Hey now,

I guess I'll be the one to admit I have actually USED the E6B function on my Citizen Navihawk. Not for flying mind you. For commuting (driving) to the freakin' outstation to get back to my airplane to start the week. Let's see, 89 mph and I have 327 miles to go that's uhhh... lemme see here.... uhhh.....And yes, minutes counted.

The downside to the Navihawk is that is doesn't light up, and I had to carry the manual around with me for a month to figure the thing out. I DO like the 3 alarms though. I wish it had more. But my new cell phone filled the gap there with it's built-in planner function. I do like the separate little dial for Z time too - that way I can keep the digital window set to Calender. I am retarded when it comes to remembering what day it is....

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back