Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How Does Your Department Assign Trip PIC's?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sleepy

Living The Dream!
At our flight department we have three levels of pilot; Co-pilot, Captain and Senior Captain (you automatically become a Senior Captain after being a Captain for 8 years).

In the past, the scheduler would randomly assign the trip pic (when two Captains were flying together) so that by years end everyone ended up with roughly a 50/50 split as pic and sic, except for Co-pilots who are always sic.

A recent change was made, at the request of some Senior Captains, that when a Captain and a Senior Captain fly together, the Senior Captain is always pic. When Senior Captains fly together or Captains fly together the pic role is randomly assigned (except that the Chief Pilot is always pic).

Based on the numbers all but two pilots will be Senior Captains within 4 years. Then 4 to 8 years after that everyone will be a Senior Captain. The problem I have with the policy change is that we will end up with several Captains who will never be the pic of a trip for 4 to 8 years. I wonder how this policy helps advance/develop the careers of the younger pilots, or any pilots we hire in the future? Sure they will eventually be paid as a Captain, they will just never get any of the responsibility that comes with the title.

To me it seems to be an ego-driven policy change. We certainly have Captains who possess more skill, ability and better judgement than some Senior Captains, so it is not a safety issue of making the best/safest pilot the pic.

I am wondering how your departments handle trip assignments? What is your policy? If you have a similar policy what is it based on? Safety? Seniority? Ego?

Last edited:
We have (had) the same two captain levels, and only two (of 6) have it. Others are two captains, two managers (CP and DO).

Dispatch tries to split PIC/SIC time evenly, no consideration for "rank". No ego issues in our house, nor seniority in designation of PIC. Whoever is PIC does one set of tasks, SIC the other. Problems are discussed between the two (CRM), and this included when there was dedicated SIC inhouse, as well as when we use contractor. If one disagrees whether a trip should go, it doesn't go. If you can't MEL the item, it gets fixed. If you can, but either of you think you should have it for the leg in question, it gets fixed. Safety issue solved.

We are very unusual (IMHO) in that most all of our operations were black and white. We have and use an MEL to the letter, are IS-BAO certified and do it by the manual.

Experience is a good thing, but decisions in the heat of battle shouldn't come from just one side. Experience can sometimes be just seniority, not necessarily experience. Sometimes that just disguises ego too.

At my previous employer, everyone was a Captain (none of that "Senior Captain" or "International Captain" stuff) and the more senior of the two would be trip captain the first half of the month and vice versa the second half of the month.

Swap seats every leg.

Very fair system, IMO. TC

yep, first 15 days of the month the more senior is pic, from 15th of month on, the more junior is pic. very fair. it seems to work quite well. if we have someone that is new, or sic status, then they just wait until the group feels they are worthy. Oh, we have 10 pilots.

i would nip that senior captain crap in the bud most ricky tic.

Last edited:
We do the same thing, CP/Capt/S-Capt. A Capt. becomes a Senior Capt. once he is International qualified.
We split trips evenly like you once did. All our Capts. rather not be PIC probably because they all have been here for around 30 years.
Sounds like you work with a bunch of young control freaks.

Our department only has 7 people. We swap PIC duties by leg or by day, depending on the length of the trip. With a small department, you have to leave your ego at the door.
I guess I don't understand why there needs to be a "trip pic." What does the trip pic do? Get to decide where to eat? It implies that the trip pic could be in the right seat, while the leg pic is in the left. What then happens to the cross cockpit gradient?

As the Chief Pilot I tried using seniority. I tried using every other flight. I even tried flipping a coin. However, it always came out the same. Then again, I am the only pilot. :)

As the Chief Pilot I tried using seniority. I tried using every other flight. I even tried flipping a coin. However, it always came out the same. Then again, I am the only pilot. :)

you may have my dream job, one pilot, one KA C90, fly <200 hrs a yr, very few RON, home every weekend , oh and vfr day only and 100k will be fine, but maybe less. :)

Our flight department simply alternates PIC assignment for every trip, whether it's a 4 day, multiple leg outing or a 20 minute out and back. Typically we swap seats each day, not every leg, probably has more to do with being too lazy to swap out the headsets. We have CP, Sr. Capt, Capt, and Co-Capt and since none of us are really in need of the PIC time, it all evens out.

Our department only has 7 people. We swap PIC duties by leg or by day, depending on the length of the trip. With a small department, you have to leave your ego at the door.
I guess I don't understand why there needs to be a "trip pic." What does the trip pic do? Get to decide where to eat? It implies that the trip pic could be in the right seat, while the leg pic is in the left. What then happens to the cross cockpit gradient?

We have 15 pilots. We are IS-BAO. We usually swap legs flying from the left seat only, but that is the PIC's choice. If you are the trip PIC you are responsible if anything goes wrong, you file the flight plans get WX and deal with the passengers. If you are the trip SIC you make coffee, get ice and papers do the preflight and load bags. The SIC gets the rental car, so you have to spend a lot of time chasing rental car receipts.

Right now we have 8 Sr. Capts, 6 Captains and 1 Co-pilot. In 4 years we will have 11 Sr. Capts, 2 Capts and 1 Co-pilot. In 7 years we will have 14 Sr. Captains and 1 Capt or Co-pilot. It just seems silly to me. In a few years, when everyone is a Sr. Captain, how will these guys feel special? Will we have to create a new Super Senior Captain position for them so they don't ever have to make coffee or get the rental car?

I guess it doesn't really matter because it pays the same whether you are PIC or SIC (plus you can't be blamed for anything that goes wrong), but I just don't know of any large department that does stuff like this. This is why I asked the original question.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back