Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How Does Your Department Assign Trip PIC's?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
La Paz was just an example. The thread started with PIC's on any trip not just international. No offense AA717 but sounds like that pilot was "old school" and there was not much of a crew concept going on in that cockpit. There is no place for that attitude in any flight department nowadays and those flyers should be weeded out. If something were to go wrong he would be just as violated or dead as you would be. IMHO.

La Paz? Really? With the exception of Canada, I don't think there could be an easier international trip than La Paz.

At 13,313 feet field elevation La Paz - J F Kennedy International Airport (LPB/SLLP) is one of the more challenging airports that I go into.

does your paycheck vary by any of these topics? If not, who the hell cares?

At our flight department we have three levels of pilot; Co-pilot, Captain and Senior Captain (you automatically become a Senior Captain after being a Captain for 8 years).

In the past, the scheduler would randomly assign the trip pic (when two Captains were flying together) so that by years end everyone ended up with roughly a 50/50 split as pic and sic, except for Co-pilots who are always sic.

A recent change was made, at the request of some Senior Captains, that when a Captain and a Senior Captain fly together, the Senior Captain is always pic. When Senior Captains fly together or Captains fly together the pic role is randomly assigned (except that the Chief Pilot is always pic).

Based on the numbers all but two pilots will be Senior Captains within 4 years. Then 4 to 8 years after that everyone will be a Senior Captain. The problem I have with the policy change is that we will end up with several Captains who will never be the pic of a trip for 4 to 8 years. I wonder how this policy helps advance/develop the careers of the younger pilots, or any pilots we hire in the future? Sure they will eventually be paid as a Captain, they will just never get any of the responsibility that comes with the title.

To me it seems to be an ego-driven policy change. We certainly have Captains who possess more skill, ability and better judgement than some Senior Captains, so it is not a safety issue of making the best/safest pilot the pic.

I am wondering how your departments handle trip assignments? What is your policy? If you have a similar policy what is it based on? Safety? Seniority? Ego?

Straight seniority.

How do you determine seniority? Date of hire, date promoted to Captain, assigned by the Chief Pilot?

We hire street captains ahead of Co-pilots sometimes, so if it is DOH then some Captains are junior to some Co-pilots? If it is date promoted to Captain then we have cases where Co-pilots were upgraded to captain ahead of other Co-pilots hired before them. We have many regular Captains who are international qualified and Senior Captains who have never been anywhere but Canada or Mexico and are not International Captains.

We are not a unionized airline where you get a seniority number that stays with you for life. Just wondering how your department assigns seniority

I ran a pretty good campaign against the change, I got the pilot group behind it, found out yesterday that they are going back to the old policy of splitting it up 50/50 unless special qualifications are required for a trip.

Latest resources

Back