Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
FEDEX

Class of Service for Commercial Deadhead Travel
Requirements regarding class of service shall apply when the deadhead is scheduled. The Company shall not be in violation of this Section due to operational changes or conditions imposed by passenger carriers after the deadhead is scheduled (e.g., increased or reduced block time). Regardless of whether such changes occur, a pilot’s deviation allowance is based on the class of service authorized in the original schedule.
Deadhead travel shall be booked in coach class unless a higher class of service is authorized.
A class of service higher than coach shall be authorized if:
a deadhead exceeds 5 scheduled block hours; or
a deadhead is included in a single duty period exceeding 11:30; or
the scheduled block hours of a revenue flight plus the scheduled block hours of a deadhead in a single duty period exceed 8 hours. However, if a domestic duty period does not exceed 11:30 and a deadhead within that duty period does not exceed 1:30 (OAG) block, the deadhead may be scheduled in coach.

Higher Class of Service
If a higher class of service is authorized on a deadhead with less than 10 scheduled block hours, such service shall be booked in Business or First Class at the Company’s option, subject to availability on the scheduled flight.
If a deadhead has 10 or more scheduled block hours, the travel shall be booked in the following order based upon availability on the scheduled flight:
(a) First Class (discounted)
(b) Business Class (full fare or discounted)
(c) First Class (full fare).
If the deadhead is scheduled for more than 16 hours duty, the following shall apply:
(a) The flight must be a non-stop flight; and
(b) A special booking priority shall apply to deadheads scheduled over 16 hours. That priority shall be:
(1) Discounted first class;
(2) Full fare first class;
(3) Business class

Nothing like deadheading 15 hours in a middle cattle-class seat a couple of times a month to show you how important and valued a "teammember" you are.

Every now and then, we'll wind up with a purchased international business class ticket, but it generally only happens when scheduling thinks they REALLY need us there yesterday and it's the only ticket left. Of course, there's the courtesy upgrades we'll occasionally get with FF program status, which are truly a godsend when you were counting on a center seat surrounded by 400 pounders, fussy babies, chatty Kathy's, etc.

Last edited:
16 hours coach DXB-JFK when you're the only one onboard who's culture it is to bathe.
Giggity.

When I was at Gemini it was Business into or out of India and Africa, coach everywhere else.
Depending on where you were coming from in Africa, that could be as quick as 5 hours.

Then you got on your 10.5 hour flight back to the US in row 35G next to the screaming baby with explosive diarrhea.

why are we still keeping our employment contracts a secret?

At World, company can DH us up to 18 hours in coach to any destination. After 18 hours, if agreeable to both parties, we can be put in business (almost never happens). Our contract says they have to get us an aisle seat if available, but if not, then tough luck....middle seat for up to 18 hours. There is a "banned list" of airlines we can't fly such as air china however.

I'm curious what other company policies are, particularly similar companies such as gemini, omni, ata, north american, polar, kalitta, etc., but info from any other companies would be appreciated.

I think I read once that some company out there has a provision that if they are DHing to Africa/India, they are required to have business.

Any info is appreciated. Many of us would like to get something better put in our contract the next go-round, so I'd like to know where we stand.

Thanks!!

If we made all of our employment contracts known to others in the industry then we would Know what we are worth, Demand what we deserve, Accept nothing less. KDA

Evergreen is Business class going overseas....

One of the few, and best, perks I had in my time at the Zone. I always found it funny that they spent $20,000+ some months sending me around the world in business or first class but still couldn't find a way to pay their employees a liveable wage. At least I have a sh*tload of frequent flier miles, thanks Del;)

Here’s what I found in our (UPS) contract:

2. Class of Service

a. Coach Class
A fully refundable coach ticket may be provided for commercial transportation if the following criteria are met:
(1) The deadhead shall not contain more than two (2) flight segments;

(2) For travel within the forty-eight (48) domestic states, Canada and Mexico, total scheduled block hours in a duty period cannot exceed five (5) hours;
(3) Within Europe the total scheduled block hours in a duty period cannot exceed three and one half (3.5) hours

b. Business Class
A fully refundable business class ticket (or equivalent) will be required in accordance with this section when a coach ticket is not authorized under subsection a. above….

(5) If a deadhead duty period contains more than ten (10) scheduled block hours, the selection order shall be business class or equivalent; then first class and then coach

13. Extended International Deadhead Only Duty
a. An international deadhead only duty period may be scheduled from fifteen hours and thirty-one minutes (15:31) to eighteen (18) hours not to exceed nineteen (19) hours actual.
The following criteria will apply to the extended deadhead duty period:
(1) There is a limit of three (3) segments (including both air and ground deadheads);
(2) The minimum scheduled rest after the deadhead is twenty (20) hours reducible to nineteen (19) hours;

(4) Coach tickets cannot be used. Rather, the class of service shall be first class unless no such service is provided within the four (4) hour search window provided in Article 13.H. In such event, a business class ticket shall be allowed. Crewmembers shall be allowed to book tickets for extended deadheads the day after the bid lines are awarded;

I had to cut out a bunch of 'legalize' then I highlighted the important parts that I think answer your question - it still sounds like lawyer talk… ;)

We do have a list of no-fly airlines or actually I guess it’s a list of approved carriers – if not on the list = no-fly.

In plain language - this bid period (we bid 2 months at a time) I’m being commercial’ed from LAX to NRT on Singapore first class. When I come back from NRT to LAX I’ll fly again on Singapore in business class. Hope this helps.

Where would they have to airline you over 5.5 hours since DHL took away your international flying? I wonder how many of your guys would tell the company to give them the $300 and put them in coach if they ever did have to airline over 5.5 hrs?

Patience my friend, patience. Now go eat a banana.

Evergreen is business class or better for all international flights as well as domestic over 6 hours travel time. Alaska and Hawaii are counted as Intl.

This is the ONLY positive thing at the zone right now!

Latest resources

Back