• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

How does SWA pay work?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Trip Rate X 1.1393 = Hourly (or so I've been told)

Once you're here, you shift your thinking and no longer think in "hourly" terms.

SWA IS different! - If you've come from another airline it's a paradigm shift of major proportions.

Last edited:
It's just like converting miles an hour to knots. When you started working on your private, knots were foreign. Now, years later, you can't even imagine flying an airplane by miles per hour.
It's just a different way of thinking, which is the hallmark of how SWA does business. I've also heard that 1 TFP is usually about 52-54 minutes of flying on average. But just start thinking TFP!
Incidentally, I believe the first "Trip" SWA ever flew was DAL to HOU, about 243 miles. That was the first "Trip" and all others were measured from this (I think). Just remember, SWA is 30 some years of tradition unhampered by progress!:)

Trip per Month (TPM)

the average line is about 90 Trips per month. Alot of people pick up about 10-15 extra trips per month (1-3 days worth of work)

TFPs, again.....

there is no reason to convert to hours... we work for trips.... not hours

"MOST" pilots here average around 90 TFPs (as Slug pointed out). However, you can work as much as you want to, crew rest considered.

For example, my line paid 91TFPs this month. I picked up some extra fly trips (3 days of flying) and will get paid for 114 TFPs in Oct.... a buddy of mine is getting paid for 135 TFPs this month.... All a matter of what you want. Time off, or more $$$?? BTW, I still managed to have 13 days off this month!

Here are a few contract points to consider since you are trying to compare what a SWA pilot makes to some "other" airline that pays by the hour;

scheduled line guarantees;
85 TFPs 28/29 day mo.
87 TFPs 30 day mo.
89 TFPs 31 day mo.

There is also a duty rig;
1 TFP for every 2 hours on duty

a Duty min.;
5 TFPs min. per duty period

AND, a trip rig;
min. of 1 TFP for each 3:10(hours) away from domicile

Reserve Line mins;
90 TFPs (except 28/29 day months = 85 TFPs)

However you want to consider per diem, for what it's worth, add another $350-500 per month.

As mentioned previous post, once you get here you will never think about hours vs. TFP, no reason to do so......

Good luck!

Re: TFPs, again.....

flying@swa said:
There is also a duty rig;
1 TFP for every 2 hours on duty

AND, a trip rig;
min. of 1 TFP for each 3:10(hours) away from domicile

Actually with the contract extension last year the rigs improved some.

Duty Rig is now: 1.48 TFP for every 2 hours on duty

and the new trip rig:

1 TFP for each 3:00 hours away from domicile.

thanks -

I stand corrected - forgot about the side letter!! Oops!

Latest resources

Back