How do you survive commuting?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Hello,
Basically, a commuter clause if it's included in your contract allows you to miss your report time. Most places the policy is to allow yourself two back-ups to your planned commuting flights. So, if you are bumped you have a couple of back-ups that would get you there on-time. Also, you can pick-up a trip part way into the pairing by commuting to a city that the trip has overnighted. I hope that I explained that somewhat clearly. Where I am currently employed we have no commuter clause, but if mainline picks one up, we can piggyback on that portion of the contract.

Regards,

Ex-Navy Rotorhead

I assume, then, that commuter clauses only apply to regular line holders, as opposed to someone on reserve or flying a composite line with a reserve component?

My wife commutes. She's a saint for all the work she does going back and forth.

I roll out of bed. Anywhere in the U.S. and let the company worry about how to get me to work.

Pay sucks but that's a nice beny

Heyas,

Commuting sucks, no two ways around it. But there are different levels of suckatude, depending on the circumstances.

Some tips to make it more managable:

1. Keep to one time zone

2. Try to keep to your own airline (on-line travel)

3. Try to keep it to one leg.

Personally, I wouldn't even bother with an off-line commute, basically due to the fact that you can always get bumped, and chances are that, at least one time during the year, the flights where you live are completely full.

Having done the involuntary commute to reserve, I would accept furlough before going back to that....it was hideous, and I had a free place to stay and a car. I was home 6 nights a month...scr$w that.

Also consider the money lost...hotels or crash pad/car. Don't forget bids for higher value lines, open flying, upgrades, or bigger equipment that you gave up because the result would have been uncommutable. Over the span of career, it all adds up.

I've lived in base AND I currently commute. There is NO comparing the QoL. Going right home and ploping down on the couch rules.

Nu

NuGuy said:
Heyas,

Commuting sucks, no two ways around it. But there are different levels of suckatude, depending on the circumstances.

Some tips to make it more managable:

1. Keep to one time zone

2. Try to keep to your own airline (on-line travel)

3. Try to keep it to one leg.

Personally, I wouldn't even bother with an off-line commute, basically due to the fact that you can always get bumped, and chances are that, at least one time during the year, the flights where you live are completely full.

Having done the involuntary commute to reserve, I would accept furlough before going back to that....it was hideous, and I had a free place to stay and a car. I was home 6 nights a month...scr$w that.

Also consider the money lost...hotels or crash pad/car. Don't forget bids for higher value lines, open flying, upgrades, or bigger equipment that you gave up because the result would have been uncommutable. Over the span of career, it all adds up.

I've lived in base AND I currently commute. There is NO comparing the QoL. Going right home and ploping down on the couch rules.

Nu

Preach it brother! 100000% correct...... on all counts......

Offline commutes aren't so bad, especially if you are married to someone that works at the offline carrier. Travel benefits on two airlines are better than one!

Tripower455 said:
Temporarily, it might be OK....... Long term NO!!!!!!!

I commuted for 10 years from RSW to: JFK, PHL, CVG, MDW, HOU, DAL and PHX. 8 years of it was offline, often more than 1 leg.

Looking a your ratings, I'm thinking you were a blue meatball, white hat guy. If so, you left out the best part-- the lovely train ride from PHL to PNE.

I'm commuting from the midsouth over to my home base Amsterdam.

All the flying we seem to do lately is Asia, that's a lot of time difference to get used to. The commute isn't all that bad, expensive, since the one-leg option for me doesn't have that good a deal on discounted travel. I'm looking into other options, as QOL is important, and my days of standby are always a loss to me, with me not being home.

Not for the faint of heart, this commuting to and from work stuff

Prog 2/2 said:
Looking a your ratings, I'm thinking you were a blue meatball, white hat guy. If so, you left out the best part-- the lovely train ride from PHL to PNE.

LOL..... actually, the train ride was cake compared to dragging the bag from the train station to the crash pad!

I am assuming that I know you!

Does anybody who lives within a 3-5 hour drive have their own airplane they commute in? Obviously expensive, just wondering?

JJ

Latest resources

Back